The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 15, 2004, 02:28 PM   #1
saands

Anyone used the Peltor Tactical 6S muffs?

I am currently using the Pro-Ears Dimension I muffs (and have loved them for several years). They have a really comfortable haed strap, but it is way too thick to wear under a hat, so I have never used them while hunting ... although I'd really like to have that protection. I just saw a sale on Peltor Tactical 6-S behind the neck muffs that appear to be a competitive product and was wondering if anyone has actually used BOTH the Pro-Ears and the Peltor and could give me a comparison.

It would also be nice to hear people's thoughts on the Peltors in terms of quality and the ability to wear a hat ... especially the "boonie" style that I prefer while in the field.

TIA,

Saands
Old October 20, 2004, 02:03 PM   #2
cukrus

I've used the Peltor 6S for years over the head band model under a hat. My wife wears hers over her hat. Have no experience with Pro-Ears muffs. I use ear plugs with muffs and find the 6S an advantage as my wife talks more than she shoots (and she expects me to listen!) I think I reset the muffs upside down on the mounts to facilitate shot-gun mount.
Old October 20, 2004, 03:01 PM   #3
saands

Thanks for your response ... I was beginning to think that no one has ever used these things but me! Since you haven't used the Pro-Ears, could you tell me if you feel you hear better in the field (or back yard) with them on or with them off? By better, I mean can you hear faint sounds more clearly and without an inordinate amount of noise.

Saands
Old October 20, 2004, 04:26 PM   #4
cukrus

The 6S has left and right adjustable volume controls. At max I can hear how noisely I stalk and what my wife is saying across a field while I'm wearing ear plugs. (We are the ones that make the inordinate amount of noise.) I don't notice any "white" noise from the units themselves and usually set them below max. Without ear plugs in they are like amplifiers or hearing aids. There is an audible "click" when they switch off to block loud/abrupt sounds.
Old October 20, 2004, 04:30 PM   #5
saands

Thanks so much ... I think that I may have to get a pair and evaluate them.

Saands