The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 21, 2015, 09:43 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

5000 posts

I came to this forum on my return to Cap and Ball revolver shooting after a long hiatus.

I knew that the BP revolver way of life had changed in the years I was away from it and wanted to bring myself up to speed. I looked for forums on which there was a good bit of traffic and a broad cross section of information opportunities.

I came to rest here on the Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting forum.

My first post was here and so it is fitting that my five thousandth post should be here.

You can trace my development in the history of posts I have made. See the mistakes, faux pas, misinformation I was laboring under.

I am still not nearly the shooter, craftsman, fabricator, or collector that most of you are. But I am certainly better for your wisdom.

Thanks for forgiving my shortcomings. Thanks for tolerating my curmudgeonly ways. Thanks for humoring me. Thanks for your guidance. But most of all, thanks for your friendship in the nature of friendship in an environment like this.

I hope to post my ten thousandth post here.
Old October 21, 2015, 10:30 AM   #2
foolzrushn

Prof Doc

My mother was a teacher for 40+ years. When she died I was amazed by the outpouring of gratitude and rememberance from so many years of students that she had taught.

I'm biased. I believe that teaching gives one a perspective on dealing with others that few occupations have. From your posts, you also have that perspective.....because, I suspect, of your teaching.

Whether teaching attracts that type of person or makes them that type, I don't know. But I do know that if more of us had a teacher's demeanor, with patience, kindness and consideration for others, being able to see another's point-of-view, that this world would be a better place.

Thanks to you and all the other teachers...formal or not...on this forum.

@ willikers...I know I do...wife tells me when she can get a word in!

foolzrushn

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; October 21, 2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old October 21, 2015, 01:04 PM   #3
g.willikers

You talk too much.
Almost as much as I do.
We might as well keep it coming, or we might wind up mowing grass or cleaning house.
Old October 21, 2015, 06:01 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Congrats Doc! Another milestone . . . or should I say stepping stone to more great posts?

foolsrushin . . . I'm betting your mother was one of those special teachers whose "classroom kids" were her "kids" . . . but she probably also wondered many times if she was "making a difference" . . . I guess that's the sign of a good teacher. My wife taught for well over 30 years. I taught shop 30 some years ago myself. It never ceases to amaze me how former students . . .grown up and with families of their own . . . will stop you and say "thanks" for something that they felt that you did to help them many years ago . . whether it be something you taught them or just an encouraging word when they needed it. And usually it was something that you don't even remember doing . . but never underestimate how much a smile and a "you can do it" has on somebody. I think we all need to remember how important that is to share with others. We didn't have kids so the "class or kids" we're our kids. And I still remember teachers I had who were outstanding teachers and the effect they had on my life whether they ever knew it or not . . . and when I run across them, I still tell them.

Doc is one of those teachers as well . . . he may not realize it but he has really helped a lot of us out here over the years . . . a good man. Now I have to stop before I get all mushy . . .

And Doc . . . are you going to shoot BP out of that new Luger? It sure is a nice one . . . always wanted a Luger and remember seeing a few that were brought back by vets that I knew . . . those of us who have always wanted one are going to have to live through you so be sure to post somewhere how it shoots!

Congrats again!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 21, 2015, 06:08 PM   #5
FrontierGander

Congrats on having nothing better to do!!
Old October 21, 2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Kosh75287

Lol @ gwillikers!

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old October 21, 2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Hellgate

Good for you, Doc. Yeah, lets have ya do another 5K.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 21, 2015, 11:58 PM   #8
Hawg

I think I got you beat Doc.
Old October 22, 2015, 02:16 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

Thanks, Y'all

BBB,

BP in the Luger.... :?(

Actually saw a vid on BP in .45ACP. Guy was just playing around. Probly still somewhere on the internet.

Hawg,

You have me beat in more ways than that.

All others,

Thanks.
Old October 22, 2015, 07:28 AM   #10
BlackPowderBen

Hickok45 has a video shooting black powder in a Glock
Old October 22, 2015, 09:36 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I enjoyed your posts Doc (as well as many of the other members here).
Old October 22, 2015, 10:51 AM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
Hickok45 has a video shooting black powder in a Glock
He has one with bp in a 1911 too. I've done it with a 1911 and it is super cool.
Old October 22, 2015, 05:59 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

Doc . . . even I wouldn't try BP in a Luger! LOL

Saw your other post on your shooting adventure . . . I'll bet it was a thrill to shoot the Luger! The Luger that I remember most was one I saw when I was a kid. A friend of mine and I were at his house and his Dad showed it to me. He'd brought it back and if I remember correctly, he'd picked it up during the "Buldge" . . . wasn't in the best shape . . . a tank had run over it but a neat relic. He's gone now but he was the only vet in our small town who had the honor of wearing both a European and a Asiatic-Pacific ribbon. Not too many could claim that.

Hawg . .. . all I can say is that NOBODY will catch up with you no matter how hard we try! LOL

Best to all of you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 22, 2015, 08:37 PM   #14
Hawg

Sure you can, just start spouting nonsense like I do and you will catch up in no time.
Old October 25, 2015, 11:00 PM   #15
BirchOrr

Doc

There are several people here who are "go to" guys, you are definitely one of them! There are others also but I won't mention their names, their words speak for themselves. I would forget somebody and then feel bad later! I always look forward to reading your posts and posts of special others as well. Indeed, I look forward to reading your 10,000th post!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old October 26, 2015, 03:06 AM   #16
Doc Hoy

Thanks Birch

Too kind.