The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1
dacaur

New young reloader....

I have been reloading since before my daughter could walk, so she has basically always been around it.... Being a huge daddys girl, as she got older, she wanted to help.... Now, at age 4, she asks ME if we can "make some bullets"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNM3...ature=youtu.be

No, she isn't wearing safety glasses, the cases are all pre-primed, as far as I know, priming is the only place we could have an issue, but if anyone wants to let me know of an instance of a non-priming related boom on a turret press, I could modify my practices.....
Old January 27, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Jimro

My three year old likes to help daddy deprime spent cases on the single stage. He turns four next month. I'm itching to get him started on an air rifle.

Jimro
Old January 27, 2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My kids help me too, they're 4 and 6. You've got to be careful of distractions though. I don't load powder with them helping, just sizing.

I worry about lead too.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4
dacaur

Yea, when she first started helping, she would make it through 5-10 before she started acting silly and we stopped, now she can do a full 50, which is all I ever like to do at a time anyway....

She likes to go shooting too, and on the last few trips actually pulled the trigger on my 10/22 a few times, though she needs both hands to do it, and seems to be excited at the prospect of a pink savage rascal for her 5th B-day (adjustable trigger should help)....
The older one (13 now) never really go into shooting, though she did just (yesterday in fact) pass her hunter safety though... she went hunting with me the last two years and now wants to shoot one of her own, so there may be hope yet....

Quote:
I worry about lead too.
Yea, I dont let he help with anything that has exposed lead, and she knows the first thing we do after reloading is wash our hands....
Old January 27, 2013, 11:34 PM   #5
jwrowland77

Awesome. I have a 5 and 8 year old daughters that love to help me reload. I let them deprime cases, and help clean primer pockets. I always be sure to tell them not to touch anything or bite their nails. Then immediately after we always wash our hands.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Sevens

Okay, she's outrageously adorable. I have two daughters myself, so I have a frame of reference.

I don't see this as a great thing, however. My first wince is that the video starts off with that cute face, tongue out and fingers right there. Fingers around this stuff... fingers that go in to her mouth, ear, nose, eyes... these are awful places for lead, lead residue, primer cup ash and other poisons to go. I'm sure you've explained to her that she needs to be aware of that...but she's four.

I don't mind anyone who is going to call me nuts for being over-protective. But her age is a large factor--these poisons are much more dangerous at that age than for adults. Don't take my word for that. Lead enters through skin, goes in to the blood stream and goes to the brain and young people are more susceptible to it.

I worry a bit about her finger going in there at the wrong time. She's REALLY good in the short clip we saw. She knows what she's doing and she has confidence -- so that handle is moving quickly. -IF- changes her mind a bit and sticks a finger in there, she's got more than enough leverage to chop the end off...or at the least do something that hurts more than she'll be able to explain.

The chance that she short-strokes or makes a round with not the proper powder charge? Well, I'm sure that's a big part of your supervision... but though it's terrific bonding, it's not the textbook way to build the world's best ammo. Although, I'll bet every round she makes is better than the crap A-Merc used to sell!

She's a prize, no doubt. There's got to be a handful of ways to include her with a bit less risk. And hey -- the risk could be much, much lower than what I see or suggest, but I'd be asking myself: What's the acceptable level of risk for my four year old daughter?! In a simple risk-reward scenario, I just can't any amount of risk being worth it.

My kids have helped me a bunch of times to sort brass, and I've let each of them pull a handle through different operations to see the amount of resistance I'm dealing with. But they don't prime, they don't charge, they don't seat bullets, and they head to the sink right afterward when they've handled any of it.

My comments are just that and nothing more. No condemnation, just what occurs to me. I wouldn't do it, but she's a gem and the video was fun to watch and I know for certain that I've got at least a couple of 40-year buddies that probably couldn't build ammo with as much skill as she's got.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Sevens

Or, the other poster in me thinks you are crazy for making her use a turret press.

With that skill... you can't justify a Dillon? You'd radically improve her output.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:33 AM   #8
dacaur

Sevens, you have some valid points there.... And actually, yes I have thought of most of them. Hopefully this will put you somewhat at ease.

Quote:
Okay, she's outrageously adorable.
Yep, you are right there Thanks.

Quote:
I don't see this as a great thing, however. My first wince is that the video starts off with that cute face, tongue out and fingers right there. Fingers around this stuff... fingers that go in to her mouth, ear, nose, eyes... these are awful places for lead, lead residue, primer cup ash and other poisons to go. I'm sure you've explained to her that she needs to be aware of that...but she's four.
You are right about that. like I said, these are all pre-primed by me, she never handles primers, spent or new. I do deprime there (without her help), but it gets a through vacuuming afterward, and for things like this, no, I'm not just using a shop vac and spraying lead dust all over the basement, I have an old upright with a HEPA filter that I use JUST for cleaning up my reloading area (using the hose, no the area is not carpeted) And I wipe down the table stool, and press handle with a damp cloth before each session she helps with.

Quote:
I worry a bit about her finger going in there at the wrong time. She's REALLY good in the short clip we saw. She knows what she's doing and she has confidence -- so that handle is moving quickly. -IF- changes her mind a bit and sticks a finger in there, she's got more than enough leverage to chop the end off...or at the least do something that hurts more than she'll be able to explain.

The chance that she short-strokes or makes a round with not the proper powder charge? Well, I'm sure that's a big part of your supervision... but though it's terrific bonding, it's not the textbook way to build the world's best ammo. Although, I'll bet every round she makes is better than the crap A-Merc used to sell!
You will notice she works the press with two hands, I taught her that on purpose to keep fingers safe, as well as prevent short strokes. she was also taught to give it a little extra oomph at the end once it stopped for the same reason, and to look inside to make sure there is powder after dropping the powder, just like dad does....

Thanks for your comments.

kirk
Old January 28, 2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Gdawgs

Cute. I have a little helper as well.

Old January 28, 2013, 08:00 AM   #10
308Prepper

Nothing, I mean NOTHING can beat daddy's little helper(s).

Reminds me of days gone bye...

Wish my little helper was here to help me! But she has enough on her hands with my 2 grand-children!!!
Old January 28, 2013, 07:47 PM   #11
cw308

I know how you all feel,Tought my son the love of guns & country. He's in his second tour in Afganistan, Very proud of him, I feel I'm holding my breath till he gets back. Your post put a smile on my face. GOD BLESS THE USA.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:15 PM   #12
greentick

Great. Three sitting here with me now (5,4,2) all want to go load some now. And that's just half of em.

I need some more presses...

Thanks for the posts.