The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2019, 07:58 AM   #1
stagpanther

Ramshot LRT

I recently ran out of magnum and was on-line ordering a refill--when I noticed ramshot has a new powder called LRT made specifically for 338 Lapua Magnum. Since I just started dabbling with the 338LM, was wondering if anyone has tried it out--specifically how does it compare to other "go-to's" like RL33, H1000 etc. ?
Old June 23, 2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Six Pack

TAG - I found LRT at my LGS and was wondering the same thing.
Old June 24, 2019, 12:16 AM   #3
Roadkill2228

Not much experience out there as it’s new-ish. It’s at least as slow burning as retumbo, slower than magnum. Some of the data suggests is a good bit slower than retumbo. Add that it’s a ball powder and you can get a lot more charge weight into any given case, it’s intriguing but no one wants to go first, and that that do are too busy shooting to share their results I guess. Because of the load density possible I think that even with its slow rate it could really clean house in a lot of standard magnums and call me crazy but I wouldn’t mind trying it in my 270 even. My experience is always that the 270 shines with powders slower burning than is conventionally recommended.
Old June 24, 2019, 02:22 AM   #4
stagpanther

I've had similar thoughts about it.

I just took a look at he western powders site and they have their latest guide in pdf up there--under 338 LM they do have a few loads listed for LRT--looks like they are getting them up there in the 100+ gr area for the 300 gr bullets for COLs around 3.68 but well under the "magic" 3000 fps I've seen mentioned as a target velocity for RL 33 (I assume those are loaded longer than 3.68).
Old June 24, 2019, 09:53 AM   #5
Six Pack

Passing along info I just received from Don W., CSR, Western Powders.....their website lists the Nosler Partition for the 338 Lapua and I have been loading the Accubond. Their loading advice is as follows:

"The load data (powder charges) from these two bullets will work for you. The COL for the 250gr Accubond is 3.580” and 3.650” for the 300gr Accubond. The COL are from Nosler’s manual."

338 Lapua Magnum

Barrel: 28" ¦ Twist: 1-10" ¦ Primer: WIN WLRM ¦ Bullet Diameter: 0.338"

Case: LAPUA ¦ Max Case Length: 2.724" ¦ Trim Length: 2.714"

Ramshot LRT

250 SIERRA HPBT MK 97.3 2,838 108.1 3,114 64,352 3.680 105.9%

300 BERGER HYBRID 92.7 2,598 103.0 2,837 63,836 3.680 106.1%
Old June 24, 2019, 11:01 AM   #6
stagpanther

Yeah--same data as in the western powder manual (though I'm not sure what those percentage figures mean at the end of the load data you enclosed??). I think it's pretty common for a loader to exceed the COL to get closer to the lands as well as get extra capacity, especially in the case of ELR shooters; otherwise I don't see how people are getting 3000 fps with RL33 and Berger 300 hybrid.
Old June 24, 2019, 11:45 AM   #7
Six Pack

Exactly...the data is from their manual and is their recommendation for use with the Accubond. The quoted COL is from the Nosler manual so it likely affects the quoted velocity. Clearly, you can seat the bullet closer to the lands for increased case capacity, etc. However, Nosler recommends .03+ jump for the Accubond and .05 or more for the Partition. The % numbers are from Western and are the load densities per the original information in their manual. Again, the numbers likely change with different bullets and seating depths. This information is intended as a starting point, based on the Western tests and published data, for a bullet that was not included in their manual. As with any load data, use it with caution, discretion, and work up slowly and carefully. Remember, changes beyond the Western data and subsequent suggestions are at your own risk.

ETA: Not saying 3000fps can't be done with RL33 and the 300g Berger or any other 300g bullet.....BUT, I would have to be there or have it come from an extremely credible, independent source to believe it. Sounds like "Internet rounding error" to me (AKA BS).

Last edited by Six Pack; June 24, 2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old June 24, 2019, 12:48 PM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
ETA: Not saying 3000fps can't be done with RL33 and the 300g Berger or any other 300g bullet.....BUT, I would have to be there or have it come from an extremely credible, independent source to believe it. Sounds like "Internet rounding error" to me (AKA BS).
Could very well be--but that's what I've encountered more than once (yes, on net forums) as competition loads for ELR shooting with the 338 LM.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 24, 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old June 24, 2019, 06:38 PM   #9
Six Pack

Well, hey.....I'm not in a position to say it's not the gospel truth. You just never know.

By the way, did I mention that I'm married to a Victoria Secret model and I'm a scratch golfer if you don't count the Mulligans. ;-)
Old June 24, 2019, 06:55 PM   #10
stagpanther