The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 21, 2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Went shootin today

Took along three .45LC tools.

Henry Big Boy - I can shoot this rifle with good accuracy. Same as my Winchester 73. I am sure it has a lot to do with the sight picture that my old eyes see.

Stainless steel Cattleman 7 1/2 from Taylors. Another nice shooter. No problems and fun to shoot.

Also took along my Mitchell Arms Cattleman 4 1/2 but this pistol has a problem. After every shot it locks up. Have to remove the cylinder to free it up. I am going to pull it apart to see what I can see.

Wife actually went along and more amazingly took a coupla shots with a Luger and a Model 92.

She decided she doesn't like it which I completely understand.

One of the things I was testing is the crimp on these .45LC rounds. I took along two different rounds in which the only difference was the crimp. One light and one heavy. I did not chrony these rounds but apart from speed I saw no difference in performance.
Old October 21, 2015, 06:08 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Sounds like you had a good day! My wife doesn't like to shoot anything above a 22. I bought a early Ruger Super Bearcat and she tried that out . . . I decided to "make it her gun" if it would get her to shoot. She refers to it as her "put put" gun. Anything larger han that she doesn't like the noise or recoil.

if your 7 1/2 Cattleman shoots anything like mine it's a joy to shoot! I'm really enjoying it and as long as I do my job, it will do its job. I'm primarily using Red Dot and Unique but hope to get some BP loaded up early next week to try.

Glad you had a good day! Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 21, 2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Hellgate

Doc,
On your Mitchell Arms Cattleman, check to see what kind of alignment the chambers have with the bore. I had two Pietta SS Remmies that would occasionally lock up on my for no reason. Turns out the bullet had to jump a little sideways to get into the barrel which wrenched the cylinder over and locked it up. I also had to disassemble it to get it rolling again. I found the chamber/barrel alignment was bad. I had the forcing cone reamed and that fixed it but I never liked the idea of them being that far out of synch. You might run a sharp edged dowel down the barrel with the (empty) gun cocked and see if you feel it hit the edge of the chambers. Sometimes you can get just the right light and see a thin crescent of the chamber edge showing it is not lined up.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 22, 2015, 02:27 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Two responses...

BBB,

This is probly the only time she will go along. She wanted the experience of shooting and actually, she intuitively knew how to aim, how to hold and how to keep the muzzle down. She had never fired a firearm in her life. But she did pretty darned good.

She was better with the 92 than the Luger.

Hellgate,

Thanks for the wink back. I'll take a look.
Old October 22, 2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Hellgate is right.....

It is not indexing properly
Old October 22, 2015, 06:20 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Took the pistol to a gunsmith today.

If you read my earlier whining and complaining about gunsmiths in Hampton Roads, you might be saying, "I thought you said there were no gunsmiths in the area!"

This is the one person who I said was still operating, Revolver Armorer.

He is going to recut the forcing cone, straighten up a minor proplem at the firing pin hole and open up the head space. Total $100.00 for the work.

He talked about replacing the cylinder with one which he would then specifically cut for the pistol. That was closer to 300.00. The pistol would never be worth it.

Work will be finished in two to three weeks.

More when it comes home.