The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 17, 2014, 08:03 PM   #1
seansean1444

mossberg mvp

any thought or experience with the mvp? looking at picking one up from my lgs. any accuracy reports?
Old February 18, 2014, 05:52 AM   #2
bamaranger

write up

Not shot or handled any, but have now seen two on display.

The write ups claim the things will shoot lights out.
Old February 18, 2014, 07:30 AM   #3
10-96

I've made one trip out with mine so far. I kinda goobered up a bit and sighted it in after shoting one of my CZ527's which kinda took the shine off the MVP. The bolt is a lot stiffer than the CZ on both the uplift and forward stroke. And the trigger, I don't think, will ever be as crisp as the CZ.

I like the feel of the MVP, the bbl is floated, and while the mag release is certainly different from anything else around- I don't think it's what one would call fragile. Like others have found- I haven't been able to get a poly mag to lock in. In fact, I've got a few very well used old 20rnd GI magazines that seem to work the best in it. And, the magazines do exitbit much floposis when seated- they jiggle around quite a bit. I don't think that's a deal breaker for me because the thing does work- but nowhere near the level of the CZ527.

As far as accuracy- I haven't put anything through it except PPU ammo which usually does pretty darn well in both of my CZ's. With the MVP, I'd say one would have to work pretty hard to keep it at 1moa consistency. I haven't put more than 100rnds through the rifle yet, and I'm quite curious how (if) it will continue to break in. All in all- if I didn't have a 527 American, it would be a pretty good little go-to truck gun in my opinion.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:40 PM   #4
tahunua001

they are kindof interesting. I like the idea of being able to use standard AR15 magazines and there are a number of members here that own and give very high marks for them. however they are kit or miss from what I've picked up and played with. some have very smooth actions with minimal wobble and decently fitted wood. others have a lot of bolt wobble and and poorly fitted wood.

I have no personal experience myself but if I could hold one in the store and ensure it's fit and finish I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.