them out on my belt.Are there any
other makers that use kydex or
concealex for holsters that I
should check out?

Thanks,

Bobby
Old October 18, 1999, 12:34 AM   #2
DWM

I used a Blade-Tech IWB Kydex® holster w/ belt loops for 2 years with my Glock26. VERY slim, VERY comfortable. The kydex holster is also very strong and has adjustable tention screws.

I just recently got another Blade-Tech IWB Concealex® holster w/ j-hook for my Kahr K40. (The concealex is just like the kydex, except that the texture is smoother. The kydex has a slight bumpy or stippled texture. Doesn't make any difference really). I think that the Blade-Techs are great holsters.

The J-hook is neat and certainly handier for removing the gun/holster often, but allows the gun to shift around slightly more than the belt loops. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any questions.

David

[This message has been edited by DWM (edited October 18, 1999).]
Old October 18, 1999, 12:35 PM   #3
Fred

Have a Blade-Tech IWB for a Glock 19 and 33 (same holster). Very comfortable, works well. I particularly like the ability to adjust tension with the two screws. For me, my 19 and 33 require different settings.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old October 18, 1999, 02:38 PM   #4
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

I have a Blade-Tech in concealex for my Commander. Good holster, but BT's customer service is pretty lame (IMNSHO).

------------------
"Janet Reno is the fire that ignites my loins."
--Joe Cartoon

Old October 18, 1999, 08:29 PM   #5
byerly

I use Blade-tech holsters for my Glock 23 and 27(same holster) Kahr K9 and Kimber. All IWB. I like them all. They can mar your finish somewhat but not that bad. They are much thinner than leather which is a real plus. Only other maker that I own is Mad Dog but it is a OWB model. My 2 cents, Byerly
Old October 22, 1999, 11:17 AM   #6
Senator

Bobby - I received my Blade-Tech Concealex holster for my Glock 23 last week. I got the paddle holster with the FBI cant, It also has the two adjustable retension screws. I like it a lot. I ordered it from BOTACH.com who were about $20-25 cheaper than ordering it directly from Blade-Tech. BOTACH did not have any in stock, but had Blade-Tech drop-ship the holster directly to my house. I had it in less than a week.

C'mon over to the house and check it out. I've also got a Mitch Rosen ARG IWB leather holster for the G23 that you can look at as well. Besides, I've picked up a few knives that you haven't seen yet.

Seriously, drop me an e-mail if you'd like to come by.

------------------
Kelly

SenatorsPlace.com

Deo Vindice

Old October 23, 1999, 12:43 AM   #7
Nakano

Most kydex I' ve experience with are those for knife sheaths. Although they cannot be compared to gun holsters, my IWBs for them are extremely comfortable. Where concealment is important, when you bump into an equally hard object with a kydex holster, is the resulting noise a concern for you? Just a thought.

L8r,
Nakano

[This message has been edited by Nakano (edited October 23, 1999).]
Old October 29, 1999, 10:54 PM   #8
tactec

M.D. Labs were the First to introduce the succesfull Kydex holster.The GunGloves were the first holsters made that worked and did not rot, mildew,absorb water,or dry out.Subsequently altering consistant fit,function.
Of course every wannabe that saw these started trying to make them,and so you have the variety of Kydex holsters available to choose from.Who still makes the BEST Kydex holsters?
M.D. Labs GunGlove holsters have the best fit,finish,and durability available
period.Not to mention the "No fine print lifetime warranty"It fails for any reason other than trying to destroy it(good luck)
it is replaced for free.
Don't take my word for it ask Chuck Taylor,Louis Awerbuck,Rich Lucibella,Boston T. Party.I could go on,these men know whats available!Thats why they choose GunGlove.
Yes I have vested interest, I am Proud to sell GunGloves from my online catalog.I doubt anyone that pushes those knockoffs are proud to do so!

------------------
David www.tactec.net

[This message has been edited by tactec (edited October 30, 1999).]
Old October 29, 1999, 11:44 PM   #9
Daniel Watters

To be fair, didn't 'Snick' introduce the Kydex holster back in the '70s?
Old October 30, 1999, 03:23 AM   #10
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

I certainly prefer Kydex holsters over leather or nylon. The ability to form fit the holster to the weapon reduces bulk and also provides a grip that secures the weapon in place. (“Snap and pop fit” if you will…) Unlike a form fitted leather holster this grip remains constant for the life of the rig. For those who regularly use their holsters that life will most likely be extended beyond that of holsters made from other materials that are exposed to similar use and stress. Also, water proof, lighter, stronger … bla, bla, bla … I’m sure you get the Idea. There are several makers out there and as such you will find differing approaches in their rigging. I have noticed two major camps among Kydex holster makers. Those who rivet only (no tension adjustment) and those who make adjustables.

I have not had the opportunity to try the IWB holster from BT that you have asked about. However, I have several other Kydex IWB holsters that are very comfortable. The Blade Tech looks as if it should be as well. I would encourage you to give it a try as personally I have only experienced good quality products from their shop.
Old October 30, 1999, 08:25 PM   #11
tactec

Ahh yes the plastic snicks,well they are not around for one very good reason the didn't work.What I am trying to pass along here is the understanding that B.T. and S.L.and others copied the modern designs from GunGloves.Why get an imitator when the originator has a finer fit and finish.
When the Gun Glove 2000 series are introduced in a few weeks they will all go back to the drawing board.The Kydex holster market is about to be revolutionized all over again!And in closing fasteners and gimmicky adjusters are unnecessary weak links!
You want a holster to have consistent retention.In a life or death situation you need that weapon to be released exactly the same as it has all those times you practiced.Not a little looser because that damn nut is loose or stripped or....

------------------
David
www.tactec.net
Old October 31, 1999, 08:36 AM   #12
Sackett

I also use a Blade-Tech IWB holster - uch model. However, I have been seriously thinking about purchasing another kydex IWB or OWB from http://www.sidearmor.net/
Their holsters appear to have even less of a profile than Blade-Tech's. Has anyone actually used both brands? If so, is there a noticable difference?
Old October 31, 1999, 02:20 PM   #13
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Tactec,

I am glad that you are proud reseller of the Gun Glove line of holsters. No reason not to be as they are fine products. However, all other Kydex holsters from all other makers are not “Knock-offs”. There are many features and innovations that have been develop that vary from what the Gun Glove line currently offers. For example “thumb straps” were for years touted as unnecessary by the makers of Gun Glove holsters. Some newer makers appeared on the seen and from the beginning offered their holsters with “Thumb break” retention straps. It is my understanding that this is one of the “new innovations” to be offered by the GG line. Shirt guards are another feature that some makers offer. An excellent component, particularly with an IWB holster as it helps eliminate re-holstering part of your shirt with your weapon. Such a feature also provides a significant measure of comfort over holsters without SG’s (IMO). So far the GG IWB is not offered with a shirt guard. RJT is looking to make an informed purchase. In doing so he has come to the right place as TFL member ship, for the most part, is extremely well informed and impartial. As a dealer of a particular product your opinion is certainly most welcome. However, as such don’t cross the line from that of giving an opinion to that of insulting your competitors or to that of giving outright commercials.
Old October 31, 1999, 08:52 PM   #14
Futo Inu

DWM, thank god someone finally figured out the difference between kydex tactical black and concealex stealth black. Blade-tech's website description doesn't tell you anything of substance, and they're too good or too busy to reply to email inquiries. And no one else seemed to know either until you.
Old October 31, 1999, 10:10 PM   #15
Monty

I have one of the SideArmor IWB holsters for my Glock 30 and think it is absolutely top notch. You can get 5 or 15 degree belt loops. Most people like the 15 but for me the 5 was better. For only $5 extra you can have both and switch to what works best for you. They come with 30 day money back so no risk in trying it out. Blade-Tech is definately not the one and only. A very satisified Sidearmor customer.
Monty
Old November 1, 1999, 07:30 PM   #16
Arnistador

As another distributor of GunGlove Holsters, I obviously share Tactec's pride in carrying Mad Dog's product. If there were better Kydex holsters in this category of holster, we'd have it.

To address some of Scott's points, I personally don't believe thumb-break holsters are necessary for a properly concealed holster. However, due to departmental concerns, and the fact that most law enforcement wear exposed holsters, Mad Dog decided that thumb-break holsters are necessary for meeting this requirement. This is also combined with new technology that bonds Kydex, something that no one else has. Gone are the days of putting a perfectly good Kydex holster in a cordura bag with a strap stitched onto it.

Admittedly, for most duty use, I prefer the look and feel of SafariLaminate; there is really no other game in town when it comes to duty gear for a Sam Brown. But for high speed tactical gear, GunGlove fits the bill.

Adjustable tension belongs on a tactical holster like adjustable sights on a handgun.
(Read: they don't.) Find the retention level for you, and don't mess with it.

We are in the process of evaluating the new Y2K Gunglove prototypes and can say they are pretty amazing. We can't wait until they are released. I can't say anymore as I am sworn to secrecy.

As far as the difference between Concealex and Kydex: Kydex is a PVC acrylic while Concealex (I believe) is an ABS acrylic. Kydex (a trademark of Kleerdex) has superior resistance to solvents (try spraying a Concealex holster with DEET, for example.)

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment
Old November 1, 1999, 09:04 PM   #17
RadarMan

Lurk mode off......
Its a shame that the Knife Forums has dumped all of the archives. I am sure I have heard Kevin, in his unique style, say that thumb breaks were for sissies and another time say they didn't belong.
You MD/GG guys kill me with your MD style. Now that MD has "blessed" the thumb break I am sure we won't hear the end of how superior it is to all the rest. Be honest.
I hope these forum pages do not get lost because I am going to make a prediction here. Okay her it is... by the year 2001 the GG/MD's new mantra for holsters will be that MD had the first thumb break and all the rest were just knock offs.
You GG sales guys need to get the forums through the pitch quickly so the rest can get back to helping each other out with the variety of quality products on the market.

P.S. Arnistador, EW has been making a unique TB holster, called the elite tactical, for years now. Welcome to the year 2000.

------------------
Old November 2, 1999, 09:21 AM   #18
Matt VDW

I have a Gun Glove IWB holster for a Colt Commander. It seems to be a well made, well finished product, perhaps a little better than the Blade Tech IWB I have in terms of quality, but I don't like the design.

Problem #1 - There's no "shirt guard", or whatever the term is for the piece of material that extends up from the body of the holster to keep the upper part of the pistol from rubbing against the wearer's body. This probably isn't a problem for the lean, mean, special warfare professional, but for an ordinary, over-fed American like me, having the sharp edges of the hammer and slide pressing into a "love handle" isn't comfortable.

Problem #2 - The placement of the belt loop makes the holster needlessly thick. Why put the loop right next to the slide? Moving it back 1.5" or so would make for a slimmer, more concealable package.

For these reasons, my Mad Dog holster is sitting in the "Not Quite Right" box now. It's not a bad holster but IMHO it's not the epitome of kydex holsterdom, either.
Old November 2, 1999, 08:12 PM   #19
Arnistador

Radarman,

While your point is taken, remember that I never said there were not other quality products available. I just finished saying how I particularly liked Safariland's duty gear; in fact, I believe I said they are the only game in town when it comes to that particular niche (though every now and then they come out with an abortion that should have never made it past conception let alone the drawing board.)

As far as EdgeWorks' Elite Tactical, I have been aware of its existence for a while now. It is an innovative design using the technology available to them at the time. I never claimed that Kevin invented the Kydex holster concept. I don't believe that Dave a tactec meant that either (though he might have been a bit overzealous in his statements.)

My intention was to let others know that Blade-Tech is far from being the only game in town, and in firmly believe that for most tactical and concealment applications, GunGlove is a superior product.

As far as discussing quality products other than Mad Dog, or any lines that we carry, here are a few:

ProLoad Ammunition(which I hope to carry very soon)
ProEars
GRSC
GG&G
Safariland
Mag Pack
Shooting Systems
Leupold
Andrews' Custom Leather
and others

However, those products we choose to represent have gone through an extensive evaluation process that must be approved by ourselves and the operators we cater to. So, please forgive us if we get excited about many of the products we have; we truly believe that they are the best for their intended purpose, and can sometimes get a little too excited.

Tim

Old November 3, 1999, 12:00 PM   #20
Skorzeny

So, who makes a good Kydex paddle holster for range and, occassional concealed carry, use?

Does such a beast exist?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Old November 3, 1999, 02:13 PM   #21
Arnistador

I don't particularly care for paddle holsters, but understand the utility in having a holster that can be removed without taking off your belt.

That in mind, the most comfortable quality paddle holster I have played with is the Safariland 5181 (no thumb-strap). While I don't like adjustable tension screws and such, the Safariland holster is very robust, lined Safarilaminate (Kydex and synthetic laminate), secure, comfortable and attractive. For extra retention, the thumb-break model is available (M 518).

A very comfortable, high speed low drag alternative to a paddle holster would be the ZIP Slide by The Wilderness. It can be put on a belt or removed as easily as a paddle, is just as secure, and is unconspicuous even if you leave it on your belt (w/o the gun, of course.) At 2 oz, you won't even know it's there. The Glock 17 model will fit most Glocks as well as a Govt model. I have one specifically for my Govt and I couldn't be happier.

Check it out. It's only 30 bucks!

Tim http://www.streetpro.com

[This message has been edited by Arnistador (edited November 03, 1999).]
Old November 3, 1999, 11:31 PM   #22
tactec

I have to admit my post was a bit too aggresive,and I apologize to any offended parties.I think in the future I shall let the products speak for themselves.Without passions life is meaningless.

I truly hate seeing people paying the same money for inferior products.GunGloves and all the other Kydex holsters have come a long way,and you can't please all the people all the time.But the Gun Glove 2000 sure should come close!

David

------------------
David
www.tactec.net
Old November 7, 1999, 02:04 PM   #23
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

New Gun Glove holster revealed. Take a peak over at Knife forums

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000037.html

TacTec and Arnistador have the holsters and all the details

[This message has been edited by Scott Evans (edited November 07, 1999).]
Old November 8, 1999, 08:45 PM   #24
Arnistador

Here's a photo of the new GunGlove 2000. It is completely rivetless and is made employing a Kydex bonding process that results in a bond stronger than the Kydex material itself.

All GunGlove prices at most, if not all,dealers have dropped $5, and the 2000 series are $10 more than the new pricing on original series GunGlove.

The 2000 series are available for the Taylor Thunderbolt, High ride, Crossdraw, In The Pants, and Tactical Low Ride models.

Tim
Old November 8, 1999, 10:17 PM   #25
WalterGAII

Sidearmor is getting rave reviews on UGW and Glocktalk. Haven't heard a single complaint about them and they're really nice folks. AS soon as they come up with an IWB for my G21, I'm buying one. All their holsters are $59.95.