The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2014, 05:26 PM   #1
HAMMER1DOWN

Sub sonics for a .308 Rem700 with 1/12 twist??

Hey everyone. I have been doing some research the past couple days on loading subs for my .308 to work better with the can attached. I have several bullet styles and weights, and I have Tite Group powder and a few other pistol powders to work with. So far what I have gathered is that the long pointy SMK's that I shoot (168, 175, 190) will key hole at those lower velocities from my 1/12 twist barrel. To caveat to that I read that bullets along the lines of those for the 30-30 seem to work better as far as stabilization at low velocities.
I came here to see if there is a well of wisdom that I hadn't struck yet or if anyone had anything to add to compliment to what I have learned so far and possibly if anyone has a load that works for them.

Thanks,
HAMMER
Old October 24, 2014, 10:21 PM   #2
jmorris

I have loaded some backyard plinking loads with 150g cast and coated bullets using 10g-11 grains of Trailboss. Bullets make round holes at 60 yards out of one I my .308 700's.

Remember when working "up" SS loads that you actually want to work them down, to avoid getting one stuck and always make sure one didn't get stuck before you fire another round. Make dam sure they are flying right before you mount the can.

Some of the longer bullets actually fly better if you load them backwards (pointed end towards the primer) than how they are supposed to go.
Old October 25, 2014, 04:24 PM   #3
SSA

jbmballistics.com has a stability calculator.
150 to 180 grain flatpoint or roundnose bullets should stabilize fine at 1000 fps.
Old October 25, 2014, 04:31 PM   #4
JD0x0

1:12 is rather slow for .308 rifle cal, and even more so for subsonics. Look for bullets that tend to be short for their weight. This would include flat based, round nosed bullets, especially cast lead.

A stability calculator would help to give you a general idea of what bullets may be stable, and what wont.