The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 12, 2004, 08:19 PM   #1
ToxicSports

Scope profit margin

Hey all,

I was just wondering what type of profit the High end Scope companies are making? It's one of those "Hmmm I wonder..." things that pop up in your head after thumbing through a gun magazine and reading a few articles.

I've heard that some of the several hundred dollar scopes cost mere fractions of their final selling price.

It's just like Callaway Golf, they get everything made over seas and at such bulk quantities that they only pay $20-$35 per head (if that much), $2-$7 per shaft and a pocket change for grips and they sell the finished club for $500.00.

I doubt that they would charge less than $50 to manufacture a scope that sells for $500.00 but then again, I know we would be truly stunned how much it really does cost to manufacture that $500.00 scope.

TS
Old December 13, 2004, 03:39 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Given that I'm constantly amazed at the sheer number of different manufacturers of rifle scopes (the variety is mind-boggling), I'd have to guess that the margin is quite high, and everyone's trying to get a piece of the action.