The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 4, 2009, 09:31 PM   #26
OcSpeed

You did the right thing!
Old December 5, 2009, 06:44 AM   #27
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Excuse me, but what's the difference whether this occurred on private land rather than the base? Sure, on the base, if the Provost found out that the CO knew about the violation and did nothing about it or even condoned it, there could be some serious repercussions (like career-limiting repercussions for the CO and Lt). But people in position of authority, especially officers, are supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard. Ethics is whether or not you follow the rules when no one is watching you. Good work by the 1st Sgt trying to clear up the issue.
As stated by jake above, the difference is that is isn't illegal or against the rules to bait on private property where he is. Turning in somebody for breaking base rules off base would be inappropriate.

Quote:
On private property it is legal, but on base property it is not.
Old December 5, 2009, 09:46 AM   #28
globemaster3

Quote:
And they tend to stick together, thinking of themselves as somehoe "better", or "more entitled".
If I am interpreting your comment correctly, you intend to say the officer corps does not have any integrity and stick together like a bunch of "good old boys".

If this is correct, you're calling me as well as any other current/former commissioned/non commissioned officer out for lack of integrity.

If this is correct, and I'm giving latitude that perhaps you didn't intend this meaning in your words and the opportunity to correct my aim if I am off, then I take huge offense to this.

Last edited by globemaster3; December 5, 2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Adding opportunity for clarification
Old December 5, 2009, 06:48 PM   #29
musicmatty

Yes it may be wrong what he did..but If it were me, I would have kept my mouth shut. Often when people stand up loud and proud, they get their block knocked off...you should have just let it ride..considering the circumstances surounding you.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:36 PM   #30
globemaster3

Spoken like the truly apathetic.
Old December 6, 2009, 10:26 AM   #31
Uncle Buck

+1 with Globemaster

As a former officer of the United States Air Force, who served in a Non-Commissioned role, I do take offense to anyone implying that officers have no integrity.

What this Lt did was illegal. We do not know why the commander originally 'chewed' the airman's butt, but the airman did say that he resolved the issue through his first sergeant. I also believe he said the commander apologized. (That showed some integrity right there.) We do not know what the Lt said to the commander and I would bet a donut to the dollar that when the old man (Commander) went back and talked to the Lt about the incident, the Lt walked away a little lighter in the backside.

I have known officers, both commissioned and non commissioned, that lacked some integrity. But I have known, and proudly, call many more friends that have both integrity and ethics.

Please do not paint a broad picture of our officer corp with that brush. It does nothing to promote trust.

If you served in the military, I have to ask: How many times have you seen a commander, or any officer, chew another officers butt? I hope you say zero, zilch and never.
An officer should never chew a fellow (even junior) officers butt in front of an enlisted person. The same as a NCO should never chew another NCO's butt in front of other, junior, enlisted people. It is bad for moral, the good order and discipline of the troops.

OK, my rant is over. This young airman did what was right (He reported an illegal activity). Once he reports it, it is out of his hands. Any repercussions he may have had because of his report, he should handle through his supervisors and first sergeant (He did, they helped him). To the OP: Good Job. Integrity is not something we leave at work and the brotherhood of arms is something we all should take seriously.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; December 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old December 6, 2009, 04:22 PM   #32
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, now, Uncle Buck, we know that jet jockeys and bus drivers always sleep between clean sheets. Officers are gentlemen by act of Congress; us ground-pounding peons are gentlemen by the grace of God. :
Old December 6, 2009, 09:07 PM   #33
Uncle Buck

LOL@ Art... Yeah, so I have heard, Numerous times. I had to work with some ground pounders for a few years there in Korea. The 2nd ID, I do believe they were 2nd to no one.
Old December 7, 2009, 08:08 AM   #34
globemaster3

Guilty. I've got more deployed clean sheet time than tent time. My hat's off to ya, Art.

But you've got to admit, you were happy to see the jet jockeys like me when it was time for you to rotate home!!!