The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Hog Buster

Anybody own a new Ithaca Model 37?

Just wondering if anyone owns one of the new Ithaca Model 37s? If someone does, how do you like it and, if you know, how does it compare to the older model?

Now a bit of history. I bought my first Model 37, 12 gauge, full choke, in 1957. I paid $ 88.00 for it new. In 1961 I bought another new Model 37, 12 gauge. This one cost me $99.00. Had a full choke barrel on it and thought it might be a bit tight for some game so bought an improved cylinder barrel also. I don’t remember what the barrel cost, but around $60.00. In 1966 I bought a new Model 37 in 20 gauge. Modified with a vented rib. Cost was $120.00. A few months later I bought a new Model 37 Deerslayer. It cost me about the same, $120.00.

Never liked the Deerslayer and didn’t have much use for it, so got rid of it. The other Model 37s are still running strong. God only knows how much game has been killed with them or how many miles I’ve carried them. In the past 50 plus years I have never had a problem with any of them. No misfires, no ejection problems, no nothing and they all have had thousands of rounds shot thru them.

I’ll never live long enough to wear them out, but just wondering if the new 37s are made anywhere as well as my old ones........ I think it’s about time for me to buy another shotgun.
Old March 17, 2010, 08:32 AM   #2
dropthehammer

A few years back I bought a 20ga Deerslayer with the fixed, rifled barrel. I bought it from a dealer at a show, brand new for $400. By far one of, if not the most, accurate slug gun I have ever owned. The trigger was horrible and the gun would not cycle properly. Shells would pop out of the magazine at any given time. Same dealer gave me another brand new replacement. I never shot that one, sold it the following fall for $400 and went back to my old 870 smooth bore. Even though the first gun gave me so much trouble, I really regret selling the second one without giving it a try. The first one was a real shooter.
Old March 17, 2010, 08:59 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

If the new model 37's are even close to the old ones, you have a outstanding shotgun. I have a 37 in 16 ga. it's the best upland bird gun ever made. Built on a true 16 ga. action, not like the Remington 870 where they put a 16 ga barrel on a 12ga action. If you ever get a chance to use a 37 in any gauge, it's a surprising gun, light weight fast swinging and bottom eject. Shell go in the bottom and come out the same way, slick.

All I can say is find both old and new and compare the two. I like the older ones as have all machined parts, the newer ones have some investment cast parts(just as strong). The newer guns will take interchangeable barrels so you can have a short deer barrel or a standard bird gun a hand.

Yes I like the Model 37 in any flavor.
Old March 17, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Hog Buster

dropthehammer

You reminded me one of the reasons I got rid of the Deerslayer. It had a pressed metal shell stop. I could foresee this being a problem in the future. It’s probably the reason you had difficulty with yours. Mine was a shooter too, but I deer hunt with rifles so it was of little use to me. However I’m still sorry I got rid of it.

jaguarxk120

The nearest dealer is 200 miles from here, so not much chance to compare new to old. All mine have interchangeable barrels, nice feature. Model 37s are one of the best kept secrets in the shotgun world.

I really don’t need another Model 37, but thinking about buying one for my grandson. He saved his Christmas and birthday bucks and bought a new 870. What a piece of junk, nothing like the old ones. Wouldn’t even make a good paddle for a pirogue. I hope that Ithaca hasn’t gone the same route.
Old March 17, 2010, 04:50 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Start going to the gun shows in my area there is always a Model 37 for sale at a show. Some times the prices aren't too bad. We have a state web site that just lists firearms, but the guys on it think after they have either used a gun or by putting a plastic stock:barf: on mil surplus they can ask higher prices than new.:barf:
Old March 17, 2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Slopemeno

For what it's worth *most* pumps use stamped shell stops. I had a lot of fun shooting a friends Deerslayer back in college and wished I had bought one back then.

I picked up a slightly beat '37 for $140 a few years ago with the plan of making a 1/2 defensive- 1/2 sporting pump out of it, say a 22" or 24" barrel with tubes if possible.
Old March 17, 2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Hog Buster

Slope

“For what it's worth *most* pumps use stamped shell stops.” OK.

Also for what it’s worth most pumps use a lot of pressed parts. That’s why I bought an Ithaca in the first place. The parts in mine are all machined. In fact the pressed ejector on the new 870s is one reason the empty just sorta falls out and isn’t kicked out. I’m willing to pay the price for craftsmanship, if it can be found today.

jag

Yeah, that's a thought. Only most of the gun shows around here don't usually have Ithacas. The few times they do they're beat up P.D. models.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:43 PM   #8
jrothWA

Evening Hog Buster,

Check the SN match on the lower than 855,000 M37's.

THe barrels were specifically mated to the receiver and WAS not recommend to swap out with other pre-855,000 receivers.

The last one should be swappable within the gauge.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:55 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Please note some of the early Model 37's could be ordered with extra barrels, mod or full, what the buyer wanted.

Also Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, Ny can fit a second barrel to a early 37 if wanted.
Old March 18, 2010, 11:59 AM   #10
southpaw02

Regarding the shells dumping it is usually caused by a bad spring at the shell stop not the stop it self.
RE the Ohio made M37 I understand they are really good. I plan on getting one when finances allow.