The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 18, 2015, 05:12 PM   #1
turkeestalker

Century M70ABM vs ATI AT47

I know nothing about these, but was interested in possibly purchasing an entry level AK47 or something like it for curiosity's sake. Kind of like the idea of the underfolder stock more for the 'coolativity' factor than anything else. Are either of these worth considering and if they are which would be the better option?
I'm asking for first hand opinions here from people who know, not just from people who've heard or know a guy sort of thing.
Old November 18, 2015, 06:04 PM   #2
DoctorDeath

The M70ABM doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, which isn't good in a rifle that will shoot almost exclusively corrosive steel cased ammo. I agree that the underfolder looks cool, but most people hate the ergonomics and they get loose over time. I don't know much about the AT47, but it looks expensive for what it is.

Both of those AKs have milled receivers, which are completely unnecessary on an AK. They're heavy as it is, and that just makes them that much heavier. The Russians have used stamped receivers for decades and they're plenty strong. I've seen videos of them running them over with trucks unscathed, so I'd say stamped is fine.

I would recommend either:

1. WASR-10 - $600 and will go bang every time. Not the prettiest, but they work and people are familiar with them if you ever sell it. From what I've read, they're better than ever lately.

2. Arsenal - $1,000 and will also go bang every time. Much nicer fit and finish and considered one of the best non custom AKs on the market. Resale value will be considerably higher and accuracy will be slightly better. Basically the Colt of AKs.

I personally would go with the WASR-10. The Arsenals are nice, but I wouldn't spend almost twice as much on one. Use the extra money for magazines and ammo.
Old November 18, 2015, 07:09 PM   #3
WVsig

Quote:
The M70ABM doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, which isn't good in a rifle that will shoot almost exclusively corrosive steel cased ammo. I agree that the underfolder looks cool, but most people hate the ergonomics and they get loose over time. I don't know much about the AT47, but it looks expensive for what it is.

Both of those AKs have milled receivers, which are completely unnecessary on an AK. They're heavy as it is, and that just makes them that much heavier. The Russians have used stamped receivers for decades and they're plenty strong. I've seen videos of them running them over with trucks unscathed, so I'd say stamped is fine.
Most steel cased ammo these days is not corrosive and if you do shoot corrosive stuff a little water and ballistol gun cleaner will take care of it. Chrome lined is not going to keep corrosive ammo from ruining your gun.

Silver bear, brown bear and Wolf are all non-corrosive and are about as cheap as anything currently on the market. The days of cheap crates of AK surplus AK ammo is over.

I agree about the ergos of the underfolders! I have a Yugo and I like the gun. It is fun to shoot but not made for all day range sessions. There are ways to make it better like a butt stock pad and a cheek weld piece that slides onto the stock but for all day shooting a traditional stock is the way to go.
Old November 18, 2015, 07:35 PM   #4
DoctorDeath

Even if the new ammo isn't corrosive, it's the general consensus that chrome lined is the way to go. AK's big advantage over other platforms is its ability to get thrashed and keep on truckin. Lacking chrome lining will most definitely be inferior in a situation where you can't keep the barrel spotless imo. Most people like the M70s, but I would never own an AK without chrome lining personally.
Old November 21, 2015, 06:56 AM   #5
az_imuth

The lack of chrome lining really is a non-issue. The vast majority of ammo you will find is not corrosive, and even if it were, you don't need anything special to clean it up. Hot water and soap will take care of any residue left behind. There are literally millions of rifles out there at, or near a century old with pristine original barrels that have somehow survived the corrosive ammo of past. I shoot corrosive ammo on a regular basis and have never had any issue at all.

I also have an M70AB2 underfolder. The ergos truly aren't the best, but I just shoot it for fun and it certainly qualifies in that area. If you're wanting something that you intend to shoot a lot, I would look for one with the fixed stock or look for something else entirely.
Old November 21, 2015, 07:33 AM   #6
turkeestalker

Honestly no, I would not be shooting it a lot.
I had honestly never had much interest in military type semi-automatic rifles myself and had never owned any. I have two sons however that have a keen interest in them.
This past year they each received an entry level AR 15 as a birthday gift. Not knowing much I purchased a couple of gently used Carbon 15s for them. The rifles perform flawlessly thus far, but the red dot optics that they came with had a lot of movement because of the method that the top rail attached to the carbon upper. I purchased a couple of blemished aluminum uppers, a couple of barrel nuts, and an armorers tool to replace them with should the need ever arise. In the mean time I used some steel reinforced JB Weld to take the movement out of the top rails and better secure the optics, which seems to have worked quite well for now.
Purchasing them for my sons and working with and shooting them kind of got me bitten by the bug. First I purchased a used 188 series Ruger Ranch Rifle for myself, not necessarily in that league but definitely way big fun to shoot. I then picked up one of the Windham Weaponry AR 10s...
NOW I kind of have a need to feed sort of thing going!
I would like something in an AK-esque sort of platform, but do not want to purchase something with an inherent issue like I did with the Carbon 15s is all.
Old November 21, 2015, 07:44 AM   #7
turkeestalker

On a side note the Ruger that I purchased is stainless and came mounted in one of the Butler Creek synthetic folding stocks. The shop where I bought it threw in wood furniture to mount it in as well for a song.
I love the looks of the rifle in the wood stock, but really like the folder as well simply for it's looks. I don't seem to have any issues with it as far as the ergonomics and my comfort go, though I don't shoot it for hours on end.
Not saying that it is the right choice or reason, but I do want the folding stock in an AK. *shrugs*
Old November 21, 2015, 11:41 AM   #8
az_imuth

They are definitely fun, and very compact when folded. I've had this one for several years and it has run like a top since day one.

Old November 21, 2015, 11:53 AM   #9
turkeestalker

Who's name is branded on that one az_imuth if I may ask?

I see you answered that question before I asked, thanks.

Last edited by turkeestalker; November 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old November 23, 2015, 03:13 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
The M70ABM doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, which isn't good in a rifle that will shoot almost exclusively corrosive steel cased ammo.
Quote:
Even if the new ammo isn't corrosive, it's the general consensus that chrome lined is the way to go.
The Yugos always used high-quality non-chromed barrels in their AKs, and never had problems with them (nor did their clients like Iraq, etc.), so a non-chromed barrel is appropriate for the Yugo-based M70ABM. Not sure what quality of barrel Century is using, but there is precedent for non-chromed barrels in these AKs.