The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Geoff7

Colorado preparing to pass magazine ban. What would you buy now?

I'm pretty new to shooting and have really only explored pistols to date. However, it appears the Colorado legislature is going to move up my timeframe, at least in regard to rifle magazines. I've listed the details of the four gun control bills in this post on the "Law and Civil Rights" board. My point here isn't to rehash that legislation, but to figure out what steps I need to take as a future rifle owner. The small bit of good news is they aren't pursuing a full "Assault Weapon" ban (this time). The bad news: 15 round magazine limit and 8 round shotgun limit, but they do allow a grandfather provision if you own the magazines / shotgun prior to the effective date of the law (July 1, 2013).

This brings me to my question: I currently don't own any long guns, but was planning to in the future. It looks like I'll still be able to buy them and own them in CO, but to the extent that I want magazines with greater than 15 round capacity, I have to buy them before July 1, 2013. I see the obvious absurdity in buying magazines for guns I haven't yet purchased (or even thought much about purchasing), but this is the situation I find myself in.

That being said, I could really use some advice in this area. If you were in my shoes, what magazines would you be looking to buy today? 30 round 5.56/.223 seems obvious for a future AR-15 purchase, and I'm pretty sure I won't have a burning desire for an AK once I have the AR, but I don't really know what else is out there that might be a good caliber to own and shoot and where magazines greater than 15 rounds are frequently used. I think I'd be interested in a .22lr, if for no other reason than the cheap ammo is good to practice with, but that's about as far as I've thought it through.

My current purpose is target shooting / fun. I am not currently a hunter, but wouldn't mind giving it a try one day.

So, as I said, if you were in a situation where buying +15 mags would be illegal in about 4 months, but any owned at that date are grandfathered, what would you buy now?
Old February 16, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

AR and AK mags. Glock 30 rounders. KCI mags if you desire.

This is coming from someone who will be affected by this.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

I would get AR mags (Wideners and some others have a few in stock), at least 30 rounders but a few 20 rdrs as well. Also some Glock 9mm mags G19 and G17 (or whatever gun you own like M&P, XD, etc).

I would not spread yourself too thin trying to buy for too many guns. Most .22LR are 10-rd standard mags anyway and I see no real need for larger ones on a rimfire when they cost nearly as much as an AR mag. If you can afford it I would try to get at least 20 AR mags and 10 pistol mags.After that then maybe a few AK mags but still focus on your primary rifle and pistol mags.

FYI, this is exactly what I did over the last ten years. I built up my armory of AR rifles and Glock pistols, then their mags to where I had at least ten mags each. Then I got some AK mags, M1 Carbine mags, but also kept adding to my AR and Glock mag inventory.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 16, 2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Venom1956

I don't really understand the problem? It would be illegal for you to purchase them in CO? Why not just go to a neighboring state and buy mags? Give them your business, you don't need ID to purchase a mag.
I mean how are they gonna keep track of who's got what?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 16, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Geoff7

Quote:
I don't really understand the problem? It would be illegal for you to purchase them in CO? Why not just go to a neighboring state and buy mags? Give them your business, you don't need ID to purchase a mag.
I mean how are they gonna keep track of who's got what?
Not just illegal to purchase, illegal to possess unless you purchased before the ban. I haven't seen the mechanism for proving magazines were purchased pre-ban. Possession of a post-ban magazine will be a class 2 misdemeanor punishable by fines and/or 3-12 mos in prison.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Moby

I'd buy a moving van and come on down to Texas.
We're gonna need men to guard the new boarder of our state.

“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old February 16, 2013, 10:00 PM   #7
LockedBreech

Speaking as a Wyoming citizen...we sure would enjoy some Colorado business just over the border. Right next to the Fireworks stands...
Old February 16, 2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Venom1956

exactly. there isn't away to prove it. Im just saying.

I'd move. =/

just go kick it with LockedBreech? can't be to far?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 17, 2013, 12:47 AM   #9
Auto426

Quote:
So, as I said, if you were in a situation where buying +15 mags would be illegal in about 4 months, but any owned at that date are grandfathered, what would you buy now?
A new home in a gun friendly state for starters.

But if I were in that situation I would start snapping up AR magazines as fast as possible. Either Magpul mags or mil-spec aluminum mags with Magpul followers like those offered by D&H or NHMTG.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:50 AM   #10
kraigwy

Quote:
A bus ticket north
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 17, 2013, 04:34 PM   #11
F=ma

Quote:
I'd buy a moving van and come on down to Texas.
We're gonna need men to guard the new boarder of our state.
Maybe if he promises to leave the CO laws in CO, you won't have to guard him.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:10 PM   #12
iraiam

I don't need any magazines, I already own many, however, If I were so inclined, it would be a simple matter to acquire more. I am not saying how to do it as that would be a violation of TFL rules, so I'll just say it is a simple matter.

The bill specifically states that the burden of proof that you violated the ban lies solely on the government. If it becomes law, be sure not to own any mag that is stamped on or after July 1, 2013. (the effective date of the bill)

A copy/paste from the text of the bill below.

(2) (a) A PERSON MAY POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE IF
HE OR SHE:
(I) OWNS THE LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE ON THE EFFECTIVE
DATE OF THIS SECTION; AND
(II) MAINTAINS CONTINUOUS POSSESSION OF THE LARGE-CAPACITY
MAGAZINE.
(b) IF A PERSON WHO IS ALLEGED TO HAVE VIOLATED SUBSECTION
(1) OF THIS SECTION ASSERTS THAT HE OR SHE IS PERMITTED TO LEGALLY
POSSESS A LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (a) OF THIS SUBSECTION (2), THE PROSECUTION HAS THE BURDEN OF PROOF TO REFUTE THE ASSERTION.

I am no longer content to live in CO, even though I am a native, it will take me some time to move somewhere. Preperations, sell the property, find a job and such. I am certainly developing a plan to do so.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; February 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 05:13 PM   #13
rfroy

Re: Colorado preparing to pass magazine ban. What would you buy now?

I plan on supporting the black market. The way I see it as drugs are illegal and you can get them delivered to your door I will soon be able to make a call and have magazines delivered.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Wally21

IF they were implementing such a ban in Texas I can guarantee you I would buy as many 30 round AK mags and high capacity pistol magazines I could.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:46 PM   #15
arch308

I am sorry for your possible predicament. Buy a few mags for whatever you plan to purchase and send some money to the NRA or whoever is going to fight the ban. Call your reps, write your reps, do whatever you can to stop the ignorance through legal means. Don't let them make you a criminal if you can help it.
When you feel the need to bury your guns, maybe it's time to load them.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:00 PM   #16
Mezzanine

I think its a waste of time/$ to buy accessories for something you dont own. Its like buying a set of wheels before you have your new car... Good chance of it turning into a look into a drawer like 5 years from now and say "where the heck did these rifle mags come from?".
Old February 18, 2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Bart B.

I find it rather odd that the gummints are proposing/passing laws that it's illegal for law abiding citizens to have their firearm magazine capacities as big as or larger than that of the bad guys who come after them to illegaly take their stuff (things, relatives, lives, etc.).

However, maybe there's a secret gummint outfit being formed to go take away the illegal high capacity magazines from the bad guys and replace them with legal ones at no cost to the criminals whatsoever.

Colorado's gummint passed the first hurdle to limit magazine capacity to 15 rounds.

Iraiam, do all firearm magazines have a manufacturing date stamp on them? Mine don't as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Bart B.; February 19, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:43 PM   #18
Hairbag

you mean the new country of Texas! Stupid laws again how is anybody going to tell if a mag is pre-ban or not? The CO mag ban has to get passed the senate and it might not. it seems there a few pro gun democrates in CO

Last edited by Hairbag; February 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Geoff7

Quote:
Stupid laws again how is anybody going to tell if a mag is pre-ban or not?
Initially, I had the same thought. Then I decided to check the D&H USGI 30 round magazines I bought last month...sure enough, they're stamped "1 13" on the left side. These are the only 5.56 magazines I own, so I can't comment on whether other manufacturers date-stamp theirs. My 17 round Glock 9mm mags do not have a date stamp that I can find, although I haven't taken them apart and looked at the interior...

Quote:
The CO mag ban has to get passed the senate and it might not. it seems there a few pro gun democrates in CO
I've been having the same thought. Yesterday's article on the Denver Post's website about the ban passing the House had over 600 comments (huge for the Post) and the vast, overwhelming majority were strongly opposed to the ban. I have a feeling that this may be one of those laws that sounded good behind closed doors, but when the senators actually have to debate the thing and hear from their constituents (not to mention thinking about reelection!), moving Colorado just slightly to the right of CA and NY may not play so well back in their districts...
Old February 19, 2013, 01:13 PM   #20
spacecoast

Quote:
These are the only 5.56 magazines I own, so I can't comment on whether other manufacturers date-stamp theirs.
My Tapco AK mags have a date stamp on them as well (the little clock face kind).
Old February 19, 2013, 02:30 PM   #21
DASHZNT

Re: Colorado preparing to pass magazine ban. What would you buy now?

The same thing ive always been doing to get what I want.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:40 PM   #22
chris in va

I'm almost thinking the law was worded so pre-ban mags could be bought from another state without anyone knowing. Weird verbage.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:15 PM   #23
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
I'm almost thinking the law was worded so pre-ban mags could be bought from another state without anyone knowing.
It is, because they have no way of proving you didn't already own them before the ban took place.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:18 AM   #24
NWPilgrim

NHMTG mags have date and month stamped on the magazine body side. I see no indication of a date stamp on PMags or C-Products mags (older ones anyway).
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 21, 2013, 08:47 AM   #25
Ridge_Runner_5

Pmags have been date stamped since at least 2007. There is a small circle on one side, numbered 1-12. There is an arrow inside the circle pointing to the month, and around the arrow is the 2 digit year it was made in.