The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 20, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Impreza2.0

New Member's 10/22 Build Thread

Hi folks, I am 40, 6'2" and 190.

This was not the rifle I expected to be building.

Since I am new here, and new to building match grade arms, this may go all over the place until I have some idea what I am doing.

My wife expressed serious interest in target shooting over the Winter, so I started doing some research towards what might be fun for her to shoot.

She is 5'1" and 130lbs at 5pm on Thanksgiving, so a huge rifle was out of the question. After we talked about it at length, we agreed that we both had fun as kids with OTS 'Walmart Special" Rugers, that we should get some that can really punch paper.

We agreed that we could take time and figure out what works best together, some of these parts were back-ordered, so not everything is built up. It will be worth waiting for, and I will post pictures as soon as they are done.

Our builds:

Hers:
Boyd's Evolution ambidextrous laminated stock - satin pink/black
Tactical Solutions 10/22 reciever - matt black
Tactical Solutions X-Ring match 22LR barrel - matt black
Tactical Solutions 48h muzzle break - matt black
Kidd 2 stage trigger - basic - 1.125lb/1.125/2.5lb pull - matt black
Rimfire Technologies 2x adjustable full width trigger insert - short matt black
Tactical Solutions extended magazine release - matt black
Rimfire Technologies oversized bolt release - spiral fluted matt black
Kidd CNC bolt - laser scalloped
Leupold Tactical QR low profile scope mount w integral rings - matt black
Bushnell EL Fine Reticle 4x-16x 40mm scope -matt black
Bushnell matt black scope shade

Mine:
Boyd's Evolution stock - satin blue/gray
Tactical Solutions 10/22 reciever - polished natural
Tactical Solutions X-Ring match 22LR barrel - satin blue anodize
Tactical Solutions 48h muzzle break - polished natural
Kidd 2 stage trigger - basic - 1.125lb/1.125/2.5lb pull - polished natural
Rimfire Technologies 2x adj. full width med. trigger insert - satin blue anodize
Tactical Solutions extended magazine release - satin blue anodize
Rimfire Technologies oversized bolt release - spiral fluted satin blue anodize
Kidd CNC bolt - laser scalloped polished natural
Leupold Tactical QR low profile scope mount w integral rings - natural anodize
Leupold Mark IV ER/T 50mm 6-20x target plex scope - satin silver
Leupold 3" matt black scope shade - Guncandy satin blue matched anodize
Vector Optics honeycomb mesh insert

She wanted it stealthy. I want us safe. The compromise was colored stocks.
We have the stocks, and when hers came out of the box, she got very excited to get the next bits. I built mine to be a little bit glitzy so that it is clear that there is a rifle present, even if hers is not so easy to see at a distance. Being that hunting with .22LR in Maine (where we are) is NOT permitted, I was reticent to 'special order' some of her matt black pieces. These are definitely dedicated target rifles, though they could be used to scare a bear away or maybe get a skunk out of the trash cans... I was far more concerned with accuracy, quality control, machining tolerances, and a total working weapon with easy maintenance and adjustment.

I am sure we will end up with a pair of all stainless target barrels, as there is some talk about the X Ring barrel being finicky about ammunition. It would be nice not to have to spend $100 on a box of Lapua's for every target session. A Green Mountain or similar heavy barrel pair would let us use some off the shelf Wal*Mart ammo after a gauging and weighing party...

My wife was never given a gun of her own. When I asked if she would hunt, even if it was for food, she responded with something the leads me to believe that she doesn't want to kill anything. So, fun factor considered, this was a no-brainer. So far she's doing nothing but smiling about it.

It is fun to get into this for the first time in over 20 years.
My last experiences with rifle sports was with my father, who passed some years ago. He was a police officer in Baltimore, MD., and owned a gun shop in Millersville, MD.. I was a studious Boy Scout (BSA Troop 828 Towson, MD) who wanted a target shooting championship trophy. I got my first 10/22 from Kmart in 1989. It was an all stainless/wood 20" starter pack with two clips. I was so happy with it. I could light an Ohio Blue Tip match with it at 25 yards. That was the OEM, out of the box original. I definitely want to see what these can do. I never went after the trophy after feeling that I out-shot everyone to such ludicrous proportion that competing would be unfair. Our troop leader got me a Swiss Army Knife and said I won a lot more than a trophy. That was true, but I'm 2x the age, and want to see if I still have it in me. It's been about that long since I handed my rifle over to my dad and said I wanted to learn how to do other stuff. I didn't ask for the rifle when he died.

My wife was never given a gun of her own. When I asked if she would hunt, even if it was for food, she responded with something that leads me to believe that she doesn't want to kill anything. So, fun factor considered, this was a no-brainer. So far she's doing nothing but smiling about it.

Last edited by Impreza2.0; April 20, 2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:47 PM   #2
mxsailor803

Just a suggestion, head over to rimfirecentral.com. There is some awesome setups over and has all kinds of tips and tricks. It helped me build my wife's std 10/22 very well. Her's is no where near as custom as the 2 you are building.

1997 10/22 receiver
adams & bennett barrel
Hogue overmold stock
radiused/pinned bolt
homemade teflon buffer
plastic trigger group with KIDD single stage internals
Leupold base/rings
BSA .22sweet 6-18x40

I was going for more tactical budget friendly and it worked out very well. She plays around out to 100yds with cci std vel ammo. If she does her part, the rifle will outshoot a few AR's at the range. Enjoy.
Old April 21, 2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Pahoo

I like the way you think !!

First off, welcome to the line and did not see a question in there nor do I see a problem with your plans. They are on the high end and see no reason to second guess you or provide any suggestions. You will probably find that if you decide to sell, you will not get your money back but heck, you can always tear it down. I have built up a few and now gladly settled with one. ....

Do us a favor and send up some pictures on your finished products. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 21, 2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Impreza2.0

Thanks guys, the goals are safety, light weight, easy carry, accuracy, and reliability.

I didn't set out to make show pieces, or for resale, and I am betting by the time we are tired of these rifles, we will be somewhere where food is served through a straw. It is my hope they last that long. I did take a good bit of time picking parts and running them past Kelsey (my wife), some took a few tries before we agreed on design and material. There is definitely argument available that I could have used a longer barrel, or possibly a better this or that, but when it comes down to it, there are several brands and smiths who are very good at what they do, and this just looks like the right combo for us.

I'm certainly open for criticism, and if anything is just known to be junk, I will want to know before I buy it. The stuff listed above is committed to, but future parts purchases are definitely going to get mentioned before I spend.

Again, thanks for the input! Safety is certainly first with us!