The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 25, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1
jcadwell

Remington Model 10 info needed

I acquired a Remington model 10 today as a project for 25$.

I'm looking for an exploded diagram, and some info on one part.

The side of the shotgun has a button to release the slide. The button has a hole radially through it.

I'm assuming that the hole is for a pin to retain it in the action. That pin doesn't exist in my gun, so the button isn't captured, and can be pulled out... Years of gunk was the only thing holding it in. Can anyone describe that pin so I can replace it? Is it a dowel pin or a roll pin? I can make another to fit if anyone has dimensions...

If it isn't held by a pin, what the heck does hold it?

Thanks for any help. It is most appreciated.
Old April 26, 2007, 04:58 AM   #2
Steven Mace

jcadwell, this might help!

http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-10r.html

Steve Mace
Old April 26, 2007, 10:31 AM   #3
jcadwell

Thanks for the link, but I'm looking for the model 10 shotgun. It is a pump action takedown gun.
Old April 26, 2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Steven Mace

jcadwell, my mistake! The links below should be of help to you.

http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-10.html

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.a...el=0860z10&MC=

Steve Mace
Old April 26, 2007, 06:15 PM   #5
jcadwell

Thanks for the exploded diagram. That really helps.

Wouldn't you know it, but the one part I'm interested in isn't labeled It is between parts 11 and 25 on the diagram, right in the middle.
Old April 27, 2007, 09:19 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is really odd. I am looking at another diagram of the same gun and it also does not have those two parts numbered or named. I guess that one was copied from the original John Finnegan drawing for a Ludwig Olson piece in the American Rifleman.

For want of a better name, I guess you could call it the action bar release button, as it is pushed in to release the action bar so the gun can be opened when it is cocked. It has been a long time since I had one of those guns apart (maybe 40 years) but I think the button is held in by a small leaf spring that goes through the cross hole and sticks out on both sides. It is a sort of shallow "U" with a little bump in it that sticks into the longitudinal hole in the button. The spring also provides tension to pull the button in until the action is cocked, when it is forced out by, I think, the action bar lock. It also serves as a cocking indicator.

To envision it, think of this { with the ends on the receiver and the little point inward.

Jim