The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2000, 01:01 AM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

I'm interested in a good chrono in the $100 range if possible. What is a good make and where should I shop for the best deal? Just need to have one able to do basic stats on one string.
Old July 22, 2000, 02:03 AM   #2
Bill Adair

Guy,

The Pact 1 is a nice package and has a lifetime warrantee, which most of the others do not. Around $130, but watch the Midway sales.

I bought the Pact Pro Chrono for the additional features, and built in printer. I think it's still on sale from Pact, for $199.

Bill
Old July 22, 2000, 11:28 AM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Shooting chronys go from a base price of about $65 up to infinity for the fancy Ohlers. Watch Midway or Cabela,s and it will be easy to find one in the $100 range.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old July 22, 2000, 01:07 PM   #4
Paul B.

Guy. I've had excellent results with the Shooting Chrony. Since mine argued with a .44 cal bullet, I've just ordered a newer version, and will send the old one back for repairs. A new basic upgradable F1 is 89.95 plus S&H. You can start with the basic and upgrade later on, if you want. I think they are a "best buy" as the consumer mags would say. JMHO.
Paul B.
Old July 22, 2000, 03:02 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul B.:
[B]Since mine argued with a .44 cal bullet, I've just ordered a newer version, and will send the old one back for repairs.[/B[/quote]

Wow Paul!! You mean that the .44 won the argument?

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old July 23, 2000, 10:31 AM   #6
Paul B.

Southla1. Yup! But just barely. The bullet hit one of the guide rods and mangle heck out of it. The part with the LCD screen now has a large black area.(liquid crystal blood????) The thing still works, as far as I can tell but most of the numbers are obscured by the black area. Chrony will fix it for $25.00.
I want the upgradable version, and will fix the old one as a backup, just in case I screwup. Again.
Paul B.
Old July 23, 2000, 11:39 AM   #7
Clark

I bought the basic shooting chrony and it worked on about half the pistol calibers. I took it appart thinking that I could ajust or modify it, but it was not that easy. Now it doesn't work at all and it might be due to being out of the box. They said send it back, but I have been comparing loads by how hard they kick.
Old July 23, 2000, 06:04 PM   #8
Guy B. Meredith

The ads are somewhat uninformative as to whether these chronographs come with difusers and all. Apparently a tripod is an accessory.
Old July 23, 2000, 09:36 PM   #9
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Guy, The shooting chrony comes with the diffusers, both in the large opening for arrows (or those of us that can't shoot accurately ) Plus the regular diffusers and the rods to hold them. The tripod is not included nor is the batteries! I never hit a chrony, but friends I blew the hell out of the tripod supporting it one day! (chrony survived) The 30-06 won, tripod lost!

------------------
Carlyle Hebert

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited July 23, 2000).]