The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 15, 2009, 11:40 PM   #26
freakshow10mm

Yet the .357 Mag with a mere 500 ft lbs of muzzle energy, which is the point where 0% of game is actually shot, kills well beyond 100y. KE figures are for bean counters.
Old July 16, 2009, 01:34 AM   #27
Dannyl

reduced recoli loads for small ladies, a success

Hi All,
we are back from our hunting trip.
I am glad to say that with proper practice with reduced charges reloads (150 Gr hornady SST, loaded for 2400 FPS from a REM 700 30-06) my wife became very proficient with this rifle.

because of the long distance shots that are the norm for springboks in the area where we were hunting ( grassland plains with no cover for a closer stalk) I convinced her to use a slightly higher load for the hunt ( same bullet loaded for 2650 FPS) and I zeroed the rifle for 300 M.

She took her first buck ever, a nice sprinbok, with a well placed shot to the base of the neck from a distance in excess of 350M. as I expected, the adrenaline (and a recoil pad made of backpackers foam matt and placed under her T-shirt) helped her not to notice the heavier recoil.

IMO, the practice with lower loads, helped her get to the point where she can concentrate on aiming, breath and trigger control without worrying about the recoil.

I would have used the load of 2400 FPS for ranges up to 250M ( for animals of Springbuk - Whitetail size; for larger animals I stick to 180 Gr' bullets), but at longer distances, the bullet drop is excessive to be of practical use.

I shot a large Oryx from 250M , this one was taken with a 180Gr Hornady SST fired at 2550 FPS (30-06). in both cases bullet accuracy an expansion was optimal, we took two animals and fired one shot each.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Regards,

Danny