The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2009, 11:11 AM   #1
pisces

Shoulder bumping using a neck sizing die ?

I normally just neck size my .17 Rem Fireball cases but after 4 firings they seem a bit tight in chambering - so I've ordered a Redding body die which I'll use for shoulder bumping.

However, in the mean time, is it possible to shoulder bump using my Redding neck sizing die if the shell holder is reduced in thickness by a few thou and, if so, is it possible to buy such modified shell holders ?
Old April 22, 2009, 08:21 AM   #2
F. Guffey

Pisces, 5 Redding shell holders for $60.00 plus a body die plus a neck sizer die plus the full length sizer die you started with for one caliber? I would use ONE full length sizer to accomplish all of the task $140.00 dollars of equipment can do by using different methods and techniques, one technique I do not use is the guesstimate method for adjusting dies to the shell holder (guesstimate adjustment?) "I adjusted the die about 1/8 turn which is about .015 thousands" which is .001 over a field gage if the guess is correct, which is .010 over a perfect fit for the perfect chamber which is a case + .005 and fits the perfect chamber without slack or movement.. Again, I use a feeler gage to control sizing, or avoid sizing, or neck size, or neck size with partial body support. The difference is, I know the head space before I start, I know the length of the case from the head of the case to the shoulder after sizing meaning I know the effect the shell holder and die have on the length of the case, I know the effect a case has on head space,

Your cartridge chambered when you started 5 firings ago, the case filled the chamber the first time it was fired, if you how much head space your rifle had you could control the shoulder to case head distance by adjusting the gap between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder. I do not have a press that 'BUMPS' (cam over), I know of one in use, he has a choice, bump-bump, no-bump, all of my presses are 'binders' the ram goes up, that's it, then the press flexes, springs or spreads.

It is possible for a chamber to outgrow the sized case, unless dies are now selling like shoes, length/width, adjusting the full length sizer die without guesstimates can support the body of the case, move the shoulder back and size the neck.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/jun96cases.html

F. Guffey
Old April 22, 2009, 09:45 AM   #3
pisces

Thanks for that.

I'll wait for the body die to arrive.
Old April 22, 2009, 01:03 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Case length?
Old April 22, 2009, 01:26 PM   #5
pisces

Possible, but case length checked OK using a Sinclair chamber length gauge.
Old April 22, 2009, 03:08 PM   #6
brickeyee

A neck die will not have the correct shape to move the shoulder back correctly.

Wait for the correct die.