The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2014, 11:15 AM   #1
THORN74

Little help guys

So I just got my 30-06 die back from Hornady, had a stuck case and damaged the die getting it unstuck.

Anyway I was setting it up last night, and got another one stuck in there again. I got it out, thanks to the rcbs case removal set. Its a great set BTW.

The issue is the same, I am reloading Korean hxp for the m1 garand. The extraction lip of the case keep ripping off and slipping past the shell plate(lnl-ap press). Seems like the brass is too week there. It always seems to be the hxp brass that this happens too. Visual inspection prior to loading shows no sign of wear, no cracks, nothing that would warn me off trying to load them.

I have 200 rds(a little less now) from CMP when I bought my garand two years ago. Other commercial 30-06 doesn't seem to have the same issue.

I have been lubing the brass with a spray on cabelas brand lube, thinking of switching to a wax instead.

Any thoughts on what to do? Should I toss the whole lot of hxp? Is there something I'm not checking for that I should be? I know u can aneal a case neck, but what about the case head? Would that even help?
Old December 6, 2014, 12:11 PM   #2
std7mag

Thorn,

I would say, if your only having issues with that brand of casings, I would not use them. Once may be a fluke, 2 and there is the start of a pattern.
Old December 6, 2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Hook686

200 rounds in two years ... I'd just dump the hxp. I would not be worth the hassle and aggrivation to me. If you really want to use it, and the Garand is the only 30-06 you have to use it in, you might think about trying a Lee Collet neck sizing only die.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 6, 2014, 12:18 PM   #4
std7mag

^^^^ What Hook said!!! Love my Lee Collet Dies...

I've been using them on my 7mm Rem Mag.
The primer pockets end up loose, way before any other issues with the brass.
(Note to some disbelievers, I have reloaded some of these cases 10 times, before the primer pocket gave indications that it was time to scrap.)
Old December 6, 2014, 12:36 PM   #5
THORN74

The stuff has been reloaded several times now, and breaking the ejection rim has happened more than twice. ... I think I'll shoot out what I have loaded then toss them
Old December 6, 2014, 12:43 PM   #6
mikld

All the HXP ammo/brass I have is Greek. I have reloaded mebbe 250 cases multiple times with no problems (also a Garand shooter/reloader). I'd measure the rim diameter and/or thickness of your Korean brass and compare. If these measurements are the same or close, then the Korean brass is too soft...
Old December 6, 2014, 01:09 PM   #7
cw308

Having a stuck case sure can ruin the day, happened to me the first time I switched to the Redding type S bushing die. Having been reloading for over 15 years & bam, ripped the rim off,first case in the new die,sent it back to Redding to remove. Love the die. Now when I feel alittle resistance I lower the ram add alittle more lube, Imperial die wax is what I'm using now. With your Garand I would F/L size .003 off the shoulder,brass will last longer with no chambering problems. You may be over sizing your brass, to mush headspace.
Old December 6, 2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Sevens

I like best the idea to junk the brass, but long before that -- I'd be using Imperial for my case lube.

Seem like 90% of the time that someone gets a stuck case, they are using Hornady One-Shot, so it makes me wonder if the Cabela's lube is similar to it.
Old December 6, 2014, 01:47 PM   #9
THORN74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
All the HXP ammo/brass I have is Greek. I have reloaded mebbe 250 cases multiple times with no problems (also a Garand shooter/reloader). I'd measure the rim diameter and/or thickness of your Korean brass and compare. If these measurements are the same or close, then the Korean brass is too soft...
Sorry u r correct it is Greek .... My bad.
Old December 6, 2014, 02:31 PM   #10
tangolima

I have been using hxp casings exclusively for my military surplus rifles, m1, 1903, and 1917. No problem to reload more than 10 times, and approaching 20 times. They are good and strong brass. Never have had problem of similar sort at all.

You used adequate good quality resizing lube and the correct shell holder, I suppose. Have the brass been annealed before?

-TL
Old December 6, 2014, 03:17 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

There ain't no brass that's worth that kind of aggravation. However, whatever lube you're using isn't working. Been using RCBS and a pad for eons with no fuss.
No annealing case heads. In any case, if the case head is getting ripped off it because it's too soft already.
Old December 6, 2014, 05:11 PM   #12
condor bravo

I find the spray on lube rather iffy but it works OK with Federal '06 brass fired in a Garand, but for everything else it is not suitable and use the RCBS lube instead.
Old December 6, 2014, 05:38 PM   #13
tangolima

Oh he was using sprayed on? Those things are no good. You will know going in the die. If it doesn't want to slide in, you probable will need to pry it out.

I've tried sprayed on, rolled on, and imperial wax. Wax is the keeper.

-TL
Old December 6, 2014, 06:54 PM   #14
THORN74

Just ordered some sizing wax from midsouth

Yeah I was using some cabelas brand spray on .... Seems to work OK I'm half way thru the bottle.

And I was using the correct shell plate for the round. It peeled the rim right off on two sides. Its like the 6-7th time I can remember.

I'll just start tossing them I think
Old December 6, 2014, 07:18 PM   #15
Dragonflydf

You did not say if you had cleaned the brass before resizing, but I tumble clean then use the hornady case lube. You should feel that the case is going to get stuck before it does, if you are having to lay into it, remove the case and give it a shot of case lube.
Old December 6, 2014, 09:50 PM   #16
hartcreek

Brass is just getting old

I am not pulling the rims when loading but when trying to extract with my old milsurps. Have more then a hundred with 42 and 43 and earlier head stamps and the brass is reaching the end of its life and is what I think is happening to yours.

I bought a broken case extractor and keep it with my old 721. Broken case extractors were issued for a reason.

I would load up what you have and purchase some new cases or some newer once fired and use the newer stuff for when seconds count.
Old December 6, 2014, 09:57 PM   #17
hartcreek

Brass is just getting old

I am not pulling the rims when loading but when trying to extract with my old milsurps. Have more then a hundred with 42 and 43 and earlier head stamps and the brass is reaching the end of its life and is what I think is happening to yours.

I bought a broken case extractor and keep it with my old 721. Broken case extractors were issued for a reason.

I would load up what you have and purchase some new cases or some newer once fired and use the newer stuff for when seconds count.
Old December 6, 2014, 10:05 PM   #18
hooligan1

RCBS pad and Case lube, never one stuck case out of a few thousand....I wont even entertain using any other lube, no matter the headstamp. I do own a RCBS stuck case remover but have never used it.