The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2010, 09:17 AM   #1
fhwiggins

Walnut Shells

Do you have to activate walnut shells with anything?
Old March 15, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2
SL1

You don't HAVE to activate it - - it scrubs as-is.

But, Lyman adds rouge (fine iron rust) that makes it scrub a little faster, but also leaves red dust on the cases.

I like to add Nu-finish car polish. It polishes a little faster, doesn't leave dust and apparently leaves a clear coating that some claim helps protect against later tarnishing (although I don't know that from my own experience).

SL1
Old March 15, 2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Tuzo

With good results I have used, in order of preference: Hornady One Shot, mineral spirits, and Nu Finish added to crushed walnut shells. Mineral spirits is the cheapest but considering the small amount of the other additives needed the cost difference is small. One Shot does not need a recharge every tumbling session. Nu Finish leaves a negligible powder residue that retains polishing ability. Most of my cases come clean after an hour of tumbling.

Additional cleaning of reloaded bottleneck cases removes any case lube residue - about 15 minutes.

The walnut media with added rouge (iron oxide aka rust) is fine but why bother with wiping rouge off otherwise clean cases.
Old March 15, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
BigJimP

No, but I do add some polish to mine as well.

I've tried the Lyman product - and the dust drove me nuts ... Just buy some crushed walnut hulls from the reloading companies ( like Dillon ) or a pet store. I find the stuff from the pet store a little dustier too / so I run it thru a fine screen ...and clean it up a little before I use it.

If its still dusty / I toss a couple of "static clothes dryer" sheets into the tumbler and that helps a little.
Old March 15, 2010, 11:55 AM   #5
zippy13

My friend, BigJimP, makes a good point about the pet store. No one in my town sells walnut shells for tumbling, but the pet store has lizard littler that works fine. I just got a bag and didn't find it overly dusty. Perhaps not all lizard litter is created equally.

As for an additive, I've been using Dillion's Rapid Polish for years. Many tumblers are expressing their satisfaction using NuFinish.
Old March 15, 2010, 05:13 PM   #6
87mustang

Activate your walnut media by turning on the switch on your tumbler!!
Old March 15, 2010, 05:32 PM   #7
cmgiscool

They work fine as is. But you can always add any of the products listed above if having extra shiny cases is important to you
Old March 16, 2010, 02:31 AM   #8
warnerwh

I've used car wax and decided to use up some Mcguire's Car glaze. I swear the glaze makes the brass brighter than wax. I used Mcguire's Gold Class wax and it works fine.
Old March 17, 2010, 06:16 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

I use some walnut shell fine media that I bought at Habor Freight last year. I just dab a touch of NuFinish car plolsh on a cleaning patch about every 3 or 4 batches, with a used dryer sheet. It will shine up the nastiest bucket brass in under 2 hours. (I pick up a lot of brass at the range, I sort, and clean it. Keep what I load for. Then use the rest for trade fodder.) I still have over 15 pounds of the 25 pound bag left. I would recomend using the NuFinish it is cheap. Less than $8 for a bottle. It last for a long time. (Warning I deatail cars on the side for extra cash and can say NuFinish should not be used on cars. It leaves a greasy film if not buffed off completly, that only wax stripper will remove). It also helps hold down on the dust.
Old March 17, 2010, 06:29 PM   #10
riverwalker76

Quote:
My friend, BigJimP, makes a good point about the pet store. No one in my town sells walnut shells for tumbling, but the pet store has lizard littler that works fine. I just got a bag and didn't find it overly dusty. Perhaps not all lizard litter is created equally.
If you look in another isle you will find 'Bird Litter'. It's the exact same stuff, it's $3 cheaper, and you get 2 more pounds.