The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 5, 2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Ben Towe

Uh oh... I've messed up...

Go ahead and laugh at me boys, I've overcharged my Dragoon. Apparently I've gotten too used to the Walker and I've put a full blown Walker load in the Dragoon (two 30 grain pellets). I didn't think that it would hold that much powder, but it sure will. In other news, I'm an idiot.

Can I shoot this cylinder safely? Or do I need to pull the balls and dump the powder?

Thanks guys!
Old November 5, 2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

I think...

...I'd pull it rather than shoot it.

It is probably alright but that sounds like last words. Easy for ME to say when it is YOUR hand.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Yankee Doodle

I can only pass on the words of wisdom imparted to me by my Dad.
"If in doubt, Don't"
I'd pull the loads.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:15 AM   #4
freedom475

I would think ...Don't Shoot It!...But I guess I don't know enough about the pellets to make the call...Personally I would NOT shoot that much Pyro (in pellet form) in my Walker either. That being said, if you routinely shoot 2 pellets in your Walker...then the Dragoon should handle the load just as well as the Walker.

If you use REAL Black Powder, you can safely fill the cylinder to the top with powder, dump out enough powder to allow room for the ball, and compress it home....It would scare the hell out of me to do this with pellets or other substittutes...

I get higher pressure and velocity with loose Pyrodex "P" than I do using 4ffff BP. 777 is even more powerful than Pyro. My (limited) experience with the pellets led me to believe that they were hotter than the loose Pyrodex.

Most people freak and tell you 4ffff will blow up your gun,,,,But the fine grind of real BP is not as powerful as the subs.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old November 5, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
sltm1

If you like your gun and you like your hand, where is the question? Personally I wouldn't take anyones word on safety if I felt I was in danger unless they were willing to fire the thing while I stood a good way's away....just sayin'
Old November 5, 2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I doubt very much it would blow up the gun but the top load is only 50 gr black powder so I'd be inclined to pull it. If you shot it the accuracy would probably be south of good but you certainly would make a lot of smoke.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 6, 2012, 12:35 AM   #7
Ben Towe

I believe I will pull them. I doubt it would hurt anything to shoot them since the Walker handles it fine, but I am fond of my hands and my dashing good looks so I'll err on the side of caution. Thanks guys, stay tuned for more of my blunders!