The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 02:56 AM   #26
Micahweeks

Thank you for your comments.

Well, Jason, I do appreciate your insight. I happen to like Glocks a lot as well, although I am not a "worshipper" so to speak. The post above this one had a great question. What accessories does the FNP need?

Primarily, for me, accessories I would like to see are things like custom barrels (which I have found since I wrote the oringinal post), guide rods, etc. Just generally higher quality/replacement parts. Some probably want guide rod lasers and everything else, but I'm a simple man.
Old May 26, 2009, 02:26 PM   #27
BigSwede

Primarily, for me, accessories I would like to see are things like custom barrels (which I have found since I wrote the oringinal post), guide rods, etc. Just generally higher quality/replacement parts. Some probably want guide rod lasers and everything else, but I'm a simple man.

All I have to say is I sold my G22 shortly after buying an FNP40.

Fill a fella in on the barells and such you found.
Old May 26, 2009, 04:10 PM   #28
DMCA

I've only owned Glocks for the last 7 months of my 35 years or so of buying and hoarding guns. I owned and still own, a couple of 1911's. An S&W 39 was my next foray into autoloaders but after that, I commenced to buy Sigs, because of the reputation for reliability, which the others lacked. I consider my revolvers though, the only collectible part of my "collection".

When Glocks came on the scene, I mocked their plastic construction, along with a number of other people and became a snob in that regard. LAst fall, I bought the first of 4 Glocks in quick succession. I don't view them as particularly the best of anything, except perhaps, the purpose for which they were intended.

If the gun buying bug bites me again, I might very well like to get something from FN, but on it's own merits, not because I compare it to Glock. FN has a very illustrious history in firearms manufacture but if something is written about great contributions to pistol design, Gaston Glock would have to be there alongside Colt and Browning. I think this is purely objective.

As for questions regarding accessories and after market parts, Glock will be almost impossible to beat. Everyone is chasing Glock and no doubt, a better product may emerge. But it will be tough.
Old May 26, 2009, 07:23 PM   #29
jgcoastie

Why is the G22 more popular than the FNP-40? Why does the G22 have so many aftermarket products/accessories in comparison to the FNP-40?

The G22 has been around longer and has seen extensive use in LEA's in this country and many others. There's more G22's out there than FNP-40's. It's simple economics. If I own an aftermarket car parts manufacturing company, would I specialize in parts for Bentley's or Chevy's? There's a much greater market for Chevy's right? There ya go... Aftermarket makers will produce more items for products that are in high demand because that's where the money is...

Are they both comparable weapons? Yes.

Do they both accomplish the job for which they were intended? Yes.

Can they both be counted on in a life-threatening situation? Most likely.

The real questions are these:

Which do you shoot more accurately?

Which is more reliable in your experience? B/C no matter how popular a line is, or how reliable the line as a whole is, a few lemons make it past QC. This applies to every mass-produced product.

Which manual of arms are you more comfortable with?

Which offers aftermarket parts/accessories that are important to you?

Which is in your price range?

Which can your wife shoot well? The day may come (God forbid) that she might have to use it...

Ultimately, our choices are our own, this includes our firearms purchases... Make yours. I own two Glocks, I love them both. I trust my life to both. But that doesn't mean that every other gun on the planet is inferior. I also own Browning, Remington, Mossberg, Marlin, Ruger, Springfield, and Taurus guns... I love them all and would trust my life to any of them in a heartbeat...

And no, I've never dropped any of my guns out of an airplane... An unrealistic so-called "test" at best... Totally inapplicable to 99.9999999999999999999999% of users... Unless of course, you're a member of an ultra-secret, highly specialized, mechanized, airborne, Super Tactical Assault Response Team Service that specializes in Demolition and Underwater Nuclear Guns/weaponry (STARTSDUNG)...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:58 PM   #30
Micahweeks

Good Questions

Lol. I love the STARTSDUNG comment. As for your questions...

Which do you shoot more accurately?
Well, for me, surprisingly, it is the FNP. I was trained on Glocks, H&Ks, and the M9. As a teenager I shot mostly revolvers and CZ variants with my family. The FNP was more accurate for me having never shot it, albeit only by about a 1 inch margin at 25 yards.

Which is more reliable in your experience? B/C no matter how popular a line is, or how reliable the line as a whole is, a few lemons make it past QC. This applies to every mass-produced product.

Both are reliable, or at least seem to be to me.

Which manual of arms are you more comfortable with?

Well, since I have a lot of experience with CZs and CZ variants, the FNP manual of arms is pretty familiar to me. DA/SA with safety/decocker.

Which offers aftermarket parts/accessories that are important to you?

Well, spare parts are really the only thing important to me, and those can be ordered directly from FNH for nominal costs. Holsters are readily available. So, FNP.

Which is in your price range?

Both.

Which can your wife shoot well? The day may come (God forbid) that she might have to use it...

I taught my wife on a Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle .40. She is familiar with DA/SA and DAO with her .357 snubby with which she is quite proficient. She doesn't care for Glock triggers much. She likes heavier pulls. So, FNP.

All of this is kind of off topic, though. I own both and like them. I was just curious as to why more manufacturers are not jumping at the chance to make accessories for this pistol considering it is made by FNH, a manufacturer who has dominated the military market for somewhere near a century. There are PLENTY of accessories for almost every single one of their other products like the FAL, P90, Five-seven, etc. It just seems that the FNP is their only product being ignored.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:45 AM   #31
johnbt

What do the FNPs need, other than night sights for the -45 model? And even then there's a sign-up list on another forum for an aftermarket maker that is working on those. I haven't checked this week, they could be out already.

The barrels appear to be of excellent quality/accuracy and will shoot lead bullets, so they don't need replacing. There are no plastic or wood stocks to replace with fancy ones. Maybe some additional holster options is all I can think of right now.

Okay, how about some aftermarket backstrap options in different patterns or sizes or something. Maybe customized with the owner's initials?

I would like a couple more 14 rounders for my -45 USG if FN ever catches up on the production. I found extra 15 round mags for $37 last month. Maybe I should post a trade offer.

John
Old May 27, 2009, 12:10 PM   #32
ElectricHellfire

I think the fact that every week there is at least one new X vs Glock thread is a testament to Glock in and of itself.

IMO and in my own experience, the FN is an ok weapon but not on par with Glock for reasons already stated here.
Old May 27, 2009, 04:43 PM   #33
Lambdebois

Glock torture test....

Some guy does drag it from a truck and drop it from a plane during this torture test among other things.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...ht=glock+plane

Last edited by Lambdebois; May 27, 2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old May 27, 2009, 06:19 PM   #34
predecessor

Quote:
Some guy does drag it from a truck and drop it from a plane during this torture test among other things.
Ironically, this only proves the fallibility of the Glock -- I mean, who would do this to a pistol they actually like? I would never do these things to my guns
Old May 27, 2009, 07:23 PM   #35
EnoughGUN

glock vs FNP

I don't think anyone has hit on this and maybe it is not important for others but the visual aspect of a handgun, rifle, motorcycle hell anything is important to me. No matter how good it works if it does not strike me visually I just do not like it. The FNPs especially the 45 in dark earth is a damn good looking handgun. The FNPs look bad ass, very hard core all business where as the Glock looks like ... well, a TV remote.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:22 PM   #36
ElectricHellfire

Yes, I do believe all baddies will kneel and ask quivering forgiveness when beholding the "bad-assness" and the Bad Pitt aesthetics of the FNP. I observed one a the range that looks so pretty and couldn't fire more than a mag without a jam. But hey, it shore was badass lookin.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:56 PM   #37
EnoughGUN

FNP VS Glock

really? I would be VERY surprised if that happened or it did it was not due to improper service or use. If anyone knows how to buld a firearm it is FN. I personally have never seen or heard from any reliable source of one having an issue. I guess there is bound to be some out there with a problem but no more then any other make.
I was not trying to say that it's looks played a part is it's effectiveness. Just saying that I want to shoot a gun I like same as wanting to drive a car I like. If it did not matter we would all drive a Ford Taurus and eat health food.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:47 AM   #38
johnbt

"Glock looks like ... well, a TV remote"

I'd read about it, but until now I'd never spit coffee on a keyboard. Now you've done it, the guys with pitchforks and torches are coming for you.

John
Old May 28, 2009, 07:54 AM   #39
J.Netto

Glock all the way.
Old May 28, 2009, 05:58 PM   #40
EnoughGUN

FNP vs Glock

Everytime I see a Glock the Ford Taurus pops into my mind. I gotta say though that the Glocks I have fired felt REALLY nice (cept for the rental guns)
I have even though on several occasions about buyin one like the 17 long slide but went with the Witness Limited instead. Again maybe no better then the Glock but a heck of a lot more personality.

I don't want to sound like I just dislike Glocks for no reason and maybe all my reasons are not valid. When I first got into handguns a man at our range pulled the trigger on his Glock and was left with nothing more then the frame in his hand. May have been a fluke, may have been he double loaded a handload who knows. Just didn't sit well with me.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:36 PM   #41
Micahweeks

Geez!

Good grief. Let's get this straight. I don't care if you like Glock or FNP better. I just wanted some speculation as to what was taking accessory manufacturers so long to start making accessories for the FNP, which is growing very quickly in popularity. I didn't buy the excuse that "it's only been around for a year or two" because it was previously the Browning Pro, so it's had a few years to catch on.

It seems I can never even make a comparison without the Glock fanboys coming out thinking that somehow if another manufacturer makes a decent piece of self-defense tupperware that it somehow emasculates them. I'll never make that mistake again. I said in my original post that this wasn't about who made a better pistol. I beg of a moderator, as the original poster, to please close this discussion.
Old May 28, 2009, 08:49 PM   #42
easyG

I think that the FN is not as popular as the Glock because Glock has set (and continues to set) the standard in polymer striker-fired pistols.

When folks say stuff like....

"just as reliable as a Glock"
"just as tough as a Glock"
"just as durable as a Glock"
"just as light-weight as a Glock"
"just as user friendly as a Glock"
"just as easy to strip as a Glock"
etc....

They are in fact declaring that Glock is the one to beat.

And when your greatest selling point is "it's just as good as a Glock", the buyer naturally must think "why settle for "as good as a Glock" when I can own a Glock for the same price or less?".
Old May 28, 2009, 09:28 PM   #43
Micahweeks

Then why continue...

Sigh... and it just drones on and on.

A few months ago, a few people on another forum inspired me to write a blog about the ignorance and idiocies of the average "Glock Fan". I was inspired to write that blog when two posters on a thread were recommending that a 60 year old woman with very little shooting experience buy a Glock 21 for a purse gun. She had bad arthritis and needed an easy shooter. Everyone laughed at the Glock fans. That is because we all thought they meant that as a joke. It was ridiculous. Then, they proceeded to get mad at us for finding them so humorous and began flaming us all and claiming that this woman was the walking-dead without that full-size 45.

I point you to my rage-filled rant.

http://www.micahweeks.com/?cat=6

At the time my Glock 22 was my favorite handgun. It has since changed to the H&K USP .40. That gun is just perfect for my hands and my eyes. I'm dead on with it every shot and put it on target just tiiiiiinsy bit quicker than the G22.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:54 PM   #44
predecessor

Just as...

Actually, when I compare a polymer pistol it usually goes like this:

Just as reliable as a Glock.
More ergonomic than a Glock.
Greater mag capacity than a Glock.
Better trigger than a Glock.
Easier take down than a Glock.
More accurate than a Glock.

I'm just sayin
Old May 29, 2009, 04:54 AM   #45
easyG

Quote:
Just as reliable as a Glock.
More ergonomic than a Glock.
Greater mag capacity than a Glock.
Better trigger than a Glock.
Easier take down than a Glock.
More accurate than a Glock.
But you're still comparing it to a Glock, thus declaring that Glock is the one to beat.

You're not saying....
Just as reliable as a M&P
Greater mag cap than a H&K
Better trigger than a Ruger
Easier take down than a Beretta
ect....

Glock sets the standard that other polymer striker-fired pistols are measured by, plain and simple.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:21 AM   #46
Micahweeks

Oh really?

Let's talk about setting standards...

Capacity? Springfield XD-m
Reliability? H&K USP (or how about any revolver?)
Ergonomics? CZ-75
Accuracy? Sig p229
Take Down? FNP
Trigger pull? Wilson Combat

Need I go on?

The Glock didn't set a single standard. It merely did its best to ride the middle of road and be an all around combat tool. That's certainly a terrific goal to set. Don't get me wrong. But, the idea that Glock set any of these standards is bull. Glock doesn't live up to any of these guns in these categories.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:21 AM   #47
J.Netto

Quote:
It seems I can never even make a comparison without the Glock fanboys coming out thinking that somehow if another manufacturer makes a decent piece of self-defense tupperware that it somehow emasculates them. I'll never make that mistake again. I said in my original post that this wasn't about who made a better pistol. I beg of a moderator, as the original poster, to please close this discussion.

This is a public forum, people are going to voice their opinions, and just because you don't like what they have to say, doesn't mean you should ask the moderator to close the thread.

If you are upset because people misunderstood what the thread was supposed to be about, maybe you should have gave it a different title. You know as well as I do, that a thread will start out one way and end up another direction completely. I've seen it happen a bunch. That doesn't mean anyone is attacking you personally. We are all here for the same reasons, and I honestly believe that everyone on here has good intentions, and wasn't trying to start a war or make you mad.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:45 AM   #48
Micahweeks

Give me a break...

If you think they are doing this because of the title, think again. I can't hardly read three threads in row without seeing some debate on why junior's Glock 22 is better at making toast and jam than John Doe's whatever-the-heck-kind-of-gun-he-has. These idiotic, Glock humping, douche bags are really starting to bug me. I could start a thread about what kind of coffee every one drinks, and one of these guys would appear and say, "The Glock brand coffee is the best. It'll stay hot after being frozen in ice for three days!"

It's old. It's tired. I know it is so hard for all of you plastic-enamored, armchair mall cops to believe that I, a long time loyal Glock buyer and fan, might have just found one gun that I shoot marginally better with and would like a few parts for. I know that you will put your Glocks to your heads and squeeze the triggers hoping that it will jam for the first time in the history of the brand just because my next accessory purchase will be for a steel guide rod for my FNP and not an extra mag for my G22. Heaven forbid. Send me to the seventh level of shooters hell then where every gun is the original Sigma and all ammo is Brown Bear FMJ! But, whatever you do, stop hijacking threads just to say you think your gun is better than everyone else's. You're like that kid from third grade that everyone knew wouldn't amount to anything. You know, the one who always walked around saying, "My dad can beat up your dad!" It's juvenile. Grow up.
Old May 29, 2009, 05:49 AM   #49
Micahweeks

For clarification...

J. Netto... just to be clear, I'm not upset with you or your post at all. I actually appreciate it. What I am frustrated with is that I have been trying to take an active part in six different discussions across three different forums recently, and five of them have degraded into "my Glock is better than your...".

I'm not really even mad. Just a little (and a very little) frustrated, really. I do realize that my posts come across as being ticked to high heaven, but I write political commentary for a newsletter on occasion, and being a little scathing with the vocabulary is just what seems to attract the most attention. So, forgive me. I'm just used to writing that way.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:01 AM   #50
J.Netto

Drank too much coffee this morning, huh?
Closed Thread