The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2008, 12:08 PM   #1
AF_Reloader

RCBS Model 505 Scale

Just a question about my particular scale:

Anyone else have a 505 pan (the hooked metal plate that holds the scoop) that rattles? I just noticed mine does. I unscrewed the base from the pan portion, and found 8 tiny round balls (I think lead). They don't look like shot (they don't have that coated "sheen" that you find on most lead shot), but nothing in the RCBS manual mentions them.

Of course, the scale zeros out if I raise the leveling foot enough, and I'm still waiting on my replacement check weights in the mail (lost during the move). I can always make sure it's even once they get here, but I was just curious if mine was unique.

If you havea 505 scale, take the pan of that thing and shake it!

"...that other sentiment, dear to every true American heart,
—Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!"
Old October 29, 2008, 12:28 PM   #2
GAR700

If memory serves, mine makes noise but it never occured to me to take it appart. I am not sitting next to it otherwise I would look.

Stumped...

GAR
Old October 29, 2008, 02:34 PM   #3
BigJimP

No, your scale is not unique - I think all of the balance beam scales have weighted pans ( with shot ) in them. The balance beam scales are good scales / I still keep an old Ohaus around to double check my digital scale once in a while.
Old October 29, 2008, 03:44 PM   #4
LHB1

Your scale pan is perfectly normal. Those are balance weights to allow the scale to be zeroed out while the arm is more or less horizontal. They are simply small lead shot as in shotgun shells. You can add or remove as necessary to allow your scale arm to zero easier/better/etc. If the rolling or noise bothers you, dab each one lightly with fingernail polish to keep it still. Remove one or more shot if the addition of polish/glue makes the pan heavier than desired.
Old October 29, 2008, 04:17 PM   #5
F. Guffey

AF Reloader, if you loose the bail and order a new one you will find it comes with a kit, the kit comes with an assortment of small lead shot of various size and weight to calibrate the beam. You can appreciate the scales more when you shave or split the weights to accomplish a balanced beam without having to use all of the height adjustment, the bail and pan is expensive.

The bail is the same for different scales, some do not require as much weight as others, if you glue the shot to the bail, it could be a problem removing the material if the bail is used for another application. I have purchases parts for scales at gun shows etc., the parts are cheaper than the sum of the parts.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey
Old October 29, 2008, 08:37 PM   #6
AF_Reloader

Preciate it, I was trying to figure out how lead shot from my 12 ga stuff got in there.

Thanks!

"...that other sentiment, dear to every true American heart,
—Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!"