The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 2, 2005, 05:16 AM   #1
foogoo

What is the really long sniper scope I saw?

Sorry I can't find the original link, but I saw a picture someone posted of either secret service or CIA agents pulling guard on a rooftop. With them was what appeared to be a Rem 700 with a very long scope, it extended to a quarter, maybe even half the length of the barrel. I've never seen a scope like that. Any idea what it is?
Old October 2, 2005, 04:31 PM   #2
hknut

What you saw could be a sun shade. They screw into the end of scopes, to cut down on the glare of the lense (to avoid being detected by one's enemy), they also cut down the light transmission into the scope. My Springfield Armory scope on my PSS has a 6" sunshade on it, you can also get a 3". Since they screw in, you can attach them together to get a 9". So you can see that the scope can get very long in length. I am not saying that this is what you saw, just that that could be one explanition. I hope this helps.