The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 13, 2009, 04:49 PM   #1
sxsmike

Marlin 60

I am new to this site and so far found it very informative. I gave my son a old model 60 marlin that used to be my dads. It used to shoot very consistently but recently it has started stovepiping on the second shot everytime. I have a 10/22 shooting the same ammo and have had no problems with it, so I do not think the ammo is the problem. Any ideas????
Old April 13, 2009, 07:21 PM   #2
koginam

is it doing it loading or extraction.
Old April 19, 2009, 02:28 AM   #3
FoMoCowboy

My grandpa and great grandpa bought marlin model 60's years ago at the same time, i got my grandpa's and my 2nd cousin got my great grandpas (his grandpa), they both have started to have stovepiping issues and loading issues, my cousin had his reworked and took it to a ''competent'' gunsmith at least 4 times and each time he swore he had the problem fixed. i havent taken mine to a gunsmith yet, i left a message at the local pawn shop where the only ''professional'' gunsmith works around here, but he doesnt work there all the time, the pawn shop just calls him when they get orders for work......i havent heard anything back in over a month.

I think its something kind of common in the older marlin model 60's. i thought that mine was just gritty and grimy inside at first, but i went through with brake cleaner and scrubbed it up real good, and even used nevr dull on the parts i could get to, it improved it for about 30 rounds and then back to the jamming, failing to load, and other issues.

I know its of no help for me to tell you this, just thought i'd say you're not the only one!

and conigam, your signature says youre a gunsmith......ROUGHLY how much does it cost to have a nice refinish on one of these marlin model 60's? i just want the regular ''Blueing" on it.
Old April 19, 2009, 03:34 AM   #4
OldShooter

Marlin 60

Have you tried different ammo? I had the same problem, I don't remember the ammo I was using but it was waxed bullets rather than plated. The wax gummed everything up. A good cleaning and change to plated bullets worked wonders.

The Marlin is a great shooter but I really prefer bolt action so I sold it to a friend who is having a blast with it.
Old April 19, 2009, 11:36 PM   #5
earlthegoat2

cleaning comes to mind, as in removing barrelled action from the stock cleaning.
Old April 20, 2009, 12:33 AM   #6
Slopemeno

Dont disassmble the trigger group if you value your sanity. I used to soak them in some diluted simple green for a while, then blast it clean with compressed air, and relube everything. All told the Model 60 is pretty relaible.

I'd also look at the extractor and make sure it's moving and clean.

Try come CCI minimags and see if it works.
Old April 21, 2009, 02:42 AM   #7
FoMoCowboy

Quote:
Dont disassmble the trigger group if you value your sanity. I used to soak them in some diluted simple green for a while, then blast it clean with compressed air, and relube everything. All told the Model 60 is pretty relaible.

I'd also look at the extractor and make sure it's moving and clean.

Try come CCI minimags and see if it works.
I actually found a plastic tube that some zipties came in and soaked the action in wheel & tire cleaner, which proper wheel cleaner is engineered to scrub off random ''gunk'' safely from painted metals. It worked pretty good, as far as getting it clean, but the slide still feels just as sticky as before. I'm planning on having this particular gun totally rebuilt and refinished. I just finished with refinishing the stock, but i cant do the rest and have to find a good gunsmith, so i'm still trying to find one of those up in the SLC area.