The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2009, 11:48 PM   #1
philthephlier

Reloading components becoming available?

I found Hornady .357 bullets and Remington primed .357 brass at Grafs & Sons.
I jumped on those. Not much else in major calibers but these were the first rays of light I've seen in months.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:12 AM   #2
abber

I've been seeing more bullets show up on store shelves, but primers are still non-existent, and powders are hit and miss. I manage to keep running, somehow.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:19 AM   #3
mtnbkr

I've noticed brass (and bullets to a lesser extent) is becoming a bit more common. Powder is still low and primers are next to impossible to get unless you're willing to pay over $40/1000. Even then, there aren't many to buy.

I was getting my stuff organized so I can load some 44mag soon and I came across a box of Winchester primers for $18.50. I was stocking up even then, wish I had bought twice as much...

Chris
Old June 2, 2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm not really sure whether this would qualify for inclusion in the master thread on components or not.

Since this is about signs of increasing availability, I'll leave it where it is for now.

If it goes into a discussion about why there are shortages, though, it will likely be closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 2, 2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Opinated

While #2 shot is typically not for handguns, apparently #2 lead shot is simply not available anymore. I cannot find shells nor shot #2 lead.
Old June 2, 2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Doodlebugger45

It seems like each week I see a few more things in the local shops that I check. 2 months ago I was shocked and stunned to see primers on the shelf. Now you can find just about any of them except for LRM. And they are priced at $31/1000. For the first time since I started reloading I actually found a bag of brand new 357 brass for a mere $20. No shortage of powders either, all of it for $18-$22/lb. We have plenty of cast bullets around, but only limited selections of jacketed bullets in most calibers.

Definitely improving. FActory ammo for things like 357 and 45 Colt is non-existent, but reloading components are improving.