The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 27, 2010, 07:13 PM   #1
akadave

Egyptian FN49

I have an Egyptian FN49 ( 8 MM) that is in pretty good shape. One of the few that I have seen where the gas tube doesnt look like a sewer pipe. Anyway, I replaced the spring and gas piston just for GP's and took it to the range.

The ammo I have is that sardine can 8mm from... I forget where. Thing is, regardless of how I set the gas relief, the shells are thrown a long distance which to me indicates that its not bleeding off enough. I can open the valve all the way and it doesnt seem to make much difference. I have mad sure it isnt set for grenade launching as well. Has anyone else seen this? Im afraid I might be beating the gun up.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:31 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have one of those that ejects so hard that the mouth of a German steel case stuck 1/4 inch into the bark of a tree. Maybe it was designed to repel a flank attack, as I am sure the empty cases would have been almost as dangerous as the bullets. The Egyptian guns may have been made that way to function better in a sandy area, because my .30-'06 and 7x57 guns didn't do that.

Your ammo may be Turkish, which has a reputation for being pretty "hot."

Seriously, you can either find some less potent ammo or you can ream out the vent to dump more of the extra gas. I never bothered to work on mine, as it was more for the collection than for shooting.

Jim
Old August 28, 2010, 01:26 PM   #3
akadave

I believe the Turkish stuff had the silver looking bullet? I dont think the stuff Im using is Turkish. I may pick up some commercial stuff and check it out, wont have to worry about the corrosiveness then either.
Old September 4, 2010, 03:51 PM   #4
plumbernater

Let me know if you deside you dont want it any more