The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 29, 2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Cold Steel

Help...Security-Six Action

I have one Ruger Security-Six that I haven't dry fired much. It's annoying because when I pull the trigger, it's stiff as all get out just before it breaks. This is double action...the gun has a fabulous single action trigger.

Where do I stone to take care of this problem? (I guess I could dry fire it a gazillion times, but I'd like to learn a little about improving the actions on these great revolvers.) Is there a website that shows this? If so, I haven't found it.

Thanks!
Old August 29, 2009, 08:32 PM   #2
roaddog28

Woff makes a spring kit that will improve the Security Six. I have a Police Service Six (fixed sight version of the Security Six). This revolver was a carry revolver for a officer. It had been fired a lot. The action on this revolver is as smooth as my Smith and Wessons. But again it has seen a lot of rounds. I believe on any double action Ruger dry firing or shooting alot will smooth out the action. A gunsmith can take the trigger group out of the revolver and polish the mating surfaces to help the action. I have never done it so I don't know the details. But my suggestion is use your revolver until it wears you out. I think you will find that the action will get better.

Good luck,
roaddog
Old August 29, 2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Cold Steel

Yeah, I've already got a new spring in. This is simply an action thing. I wish I knew how the parts interacted, but I don't. I guess I'll just polish everything with a Dremel and a polishing wheel and some Semichrome.
Old August 29, 2009, 09:29 PM   #4
GeauxTide

My .02

If you don't have at least 250 magnum rounds through it, don't fool with anything. I've owned four Ruger SS pistols and they smooth up measurably.
Old August 29, 2009, 11:09 PM   #5
robmkivseries70

I wouldn't just polish "everything" as this may create a dangerous condition. Dry firing will break in the action and give the owner some trigger time practice.
Best,
Rob
Old August 30, 2009, 08:22 PM   #6
SIGSHR

[I used a Trapper (?) spring in mine and that was all the action work it needed.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:19 PM   #7
WVfishguy

All your questions are answered here, if you just look hard enough: RUGERFORUM.NET
Old September 9, 2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Satanic Toaster

Just keep firing the gun. a good healthy diet of magnum rounds will break it and you in real quick. My Security Six trigger pull is smooth as butter now that it has been worked in a little. although it is going on 30 years old...

Tags
.357 , action , ruger , security-six , stoning