The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 15, 2000, 07:45 PM   #1
Futo Inu

This was a couple of weeks ago, but just now able to post. So far I'm disappointed, but not giving up yet.

No. of shots fired: 90
No. of chances to feed: 72 (due to loading 5 per mag; 1st of five doesn't self-load)
No. of failures to feed: 15
Type of FTF: jammed low on feed ramp; no other types of FTF.
Ratio: 20.8% (way unacceptable)
Possible causes: New gun/not broken in, or because ammo was Fiocchi SJHP, with exposed lead. Why they're not a fully jacketed HP, I have no clue, but they're not.
Remdies: Planning to use ball ammo from now on and do further testing to see if break-in period helps.

Accuracy (standing; no support; semi-rapid fire):

--3 yards, 30-shot group size: 2.25" w/o the 1 lone flier, 3.0" with the flier.

--5 yards, 30-shot group size: 3.75" without the 1 lone flier, 5.0" with the flier

--25 ft, 30-shot group size: 7.25" without 1 lone flier (yet again), unknown (off paper) with the flier
Old March 16, 2000, 01:48 AM   #2
gunmart

i can tell you this about the keltec 32.you need hot, short ammo like the winchester silvertips and the speer gold dot.the fiocchi stuff overlength is way too long.most ball ammo in the generic is loaded to lite to give proper slide cycle.remington green and gold box ball works fine but for what it cost (about $15.00 per 50)you could use silvertips.they cost about $16.00 per box.
the slides start acting sluggish after about 150 rounds so be sure to clean it after each range use.
the only complant i have with mine is that in my pocket holster kept popping the magazine out when i would bend over.a simple buz buz with the old dremell tool cured that .i just took off some of the magazine release.

if your not happy with it send it to me ill give $200 for it .see ya ed
Old March 16, 2000, 01:43 PM   #3
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

How new is your gun? Very low SN like mine needed an adjustment to make them go into battery right (maybe related to feeding problem). Having seen Fiocchi FMJ I'd avoid it in favor of ball (not enough energy to go deep AND wide). Silvertips fed fine though.