The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 15, 2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Big Caliber

SS Ruger Service Six question

My Service Six, (fixed sights), shoots to the left of the poa by about 4" at 10 to 20 yards. I thought it was me until a buddy shot it as a prelude to buying it. It shot to the left for him as well. Is there anything at all that can be done to correct the sights (or lack thereof)?
Old March 15, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Remove the grips and put the gun in a vise. Stand back and see if it's canted slightly to the left.

If so, the barrel could be moved.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Slopemeno

How experienced a shooter are you? People who are new to DA revolvers sometimes shoot low/left.

If it were mine, I'd thin the front sight blade on the right side to move the point of impact. The front sight is easily removed with a 1/16" punch.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

If possible use a machine rest to test. Not having that use sandbags. You and your buddy both do a fair amount of shooting before drawing conclusions or you go whacking and wrenching on that gun.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:52 PM   #5
oldgunsmith

Ditto, Rifleman. If whacking and wrenching on it sounds hair raising, it is if you've never done it before. If it comes down to it, find a good revolver man who has.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:13 AM   #6
roklok

The method I have used in the past is to thin the base of the sight that fits in the barrel. I take a file and a punch to the range, and gradually thin the base, so the sight moves in the direction required. Push the sight over, and shoot. Once your groups are centered, put a dab of epoxy in the sight mortise, install sight and pin it, then push the sight to the side like it was when it was shooting centered. Let the epoxy set up. Works like a charm.