The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 24, 2012, 09:24 AM   #1
alsnchns

Beretta Trigger Sluggish

I am new to the forums, so I apologize if this isn't the correct place for my question.

I have a Beretta Model 92FS Vertec, Cal. 9MM Parabellum semi-auto that is supposedly from an ex-FBI agent. Anyway, the weapon is sweet and dead-on accurate. However, the trigger, to me, seems sluggish and requires more than normal pressure to engage. That is, if I cock the hammer and begin to squeeze the trigger, I am met with almost no resistance for the first half of the pull. Once I meet some resistance, I continue squeezing and it takes the trigger all the way to the back of the trigger guard before it finally clicks.

Assuming this makes any sense, what is the remedy for this? I'm not looking for a hair trigger response, but I am looking for something that doesn't require me to squeeze the trigger from front to back with so much pressure required. If the weapon is designed to be this way, please say so and I'll adjust. I have it for personal protection and occasional target practice.

I appreciate any input.
Old July 24, 2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Scorch

Your Beretta 92 is a double action semiauto pistol, what you are describing is entirely within the normal range of operation. If you don't like the long double action trigger pull, get a single action pistol like a 1911, otherwise just shoot it and you will get used to it.
Old July 24, 2012, 02:26 PM   #3
alsnchns

Thank you for your response; I appreciate it. Knowledge is power and I feel better knowing it's behaving like it should.

Just out of simple curiosity, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, where does this handgun rate in comparison to similar type handguns (double action semiauto)?
Old July 25, 2012, 12:34 AM   #4
Scorch

6-ish

The Beretta 92 is a good quality handgun, not fantastic. In my book of DA semis, SIG would be close to a 9, Taurus would rate a 3-4, High Point rates a 2.
Old July 25, 2012, 02:06 AM   #5
wyop

The 92 is pretty accurate, fairly reliable if kept clean.

Doing a detailed strip & clean on them, however, isn't for the timid. They're excellent spring-launching devices, launching little springs across the room into other dimensions of time and space...

The trigger on the 92 sucks. Why? Well, look at any exploded view of one. They have to transfer the trigger squeeze back along the right side of the frame to the sear/hammer setup. When you look at the trigger linkage, you can see how it will become sloppy over time with wear.

I'd rate it a 7 for accuracy, a 4 for ergonomics and a 2 for ease of maintenance.
Old July 26, 2012, 07:38 PM   #6
insomni

you are describing the long draw-up of slack in the beretta trigger that makes me hate it. Every M9 I've ever fired has a "squishy" trigger with a ton of dead space.

You could look around online and see if there's a drop in kit or a tweak you can make on your trigger, but Beretta 92/M9's are not known at all for a "crisp" trigger.

Last edited by insomni; July 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old July 27, 2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Striker1

Quote:
Your Beretta 92 is a double action semiauto pistol, what you are describing is entirely within the normal range of operation. If you don't like the long double action trigger pull, get a single action pistol like a 1911, otherwise just shoot it and you will get used to it.
Actually, the OP posted that he was starting with the hammer cocked in SA mode.