The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 17, 2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

In trouble for a posting?

In another thread, I deleted a message which suggested a gun related activity on campus that might be legally suspect. We have also debated whether a posting could get you into trouble at trial or on the job.

Thus:

http://wcco.com/wireapnewsmn/U.of.M.2.1372892.html

Quote:
Dec 16, 2009 8:57 pm US/Central Student No Longer Banned For Facebook PostingsMINNEAPOLIS (AP) ― A University of Minnesota student who was banned from the Twin Cities campus after her instructors felt threatened by some of her Facebook postings is being allowed back.

Amanda Tatro was patted down and questioned by police when she got to class Monday.

The 29-year-old mortuary science student had posted comments on her Facebook page saying she wanted to stab a "certain someone in the throat" with an embalming instrument. She told police she was just venting because she was upset over breaking up with her boyfriend.

The university's Office of Student Conduct ruled in her favor Wednesday. She can return to class and will get to retake any missed exams.

Tatro's latest Facebook status update reads: "I DID IT! I am back in school as of tomorrow...THANK YOU ALL."
So folks do read the net and if you are identifiable or later traced, it would seem that saying unwise things is really unwise. It turned out ok for her but still her reputation takes a hit.
Old December 17, 2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Sefner

Aye, any employer considering to hire her will probably Google her name, and guess what the first result will be. Facebook is a quick way to lose your privacy and is so stupid... not even words...
Old December 17, 2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This bring two things to mind:

1)My how the world has changed. When I was in school back in the 80s, we used to talk about blowing up the school over the weekend so we wouldn't have to go back on Monday. This was joking with teachers and bus drivers. It was considered funny. We even had a whole "plan" drawn up. We were going to repel into the chemistry lab and get the chemicals to make nitro-glycerin. The teachers got a kick out of it. Today, we'd be arrested.

2)You have to be an idiot to not realize that it's not funny anymore. My opinion of people who say (type) things like that girl did is not directly influenced by the words themselves, but by the lack of sense to realize what the reaction will be to such a statement.
Old December 17, 2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

There have been defamation suits brought by internet postings, and defendants' writings on newsgroups have been used as evidence in criminal prosecutions.

Folks need to bear that in mind before starting those "2nd American Revolution" threads
Old December 17, 2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Chipperman

sarcasm <Well, thank goodness our First Amendment Rights have not been abrogated to the same degree as our Second Amendment Rights!>
Old December 17, 2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Chipperman, you may see it as sarcasm, but consider this:

We all have the right to say/write/publish whatever we wish. The problem comes from the responsibility we have to take when we do this.

You can yell "FIRE!" in a theater, contrary to what some would tell you. But should you cause a panic and people are injured in the ensuing panic, you are liable for damages... Doesn't matter if a fire is actually there or not.

The single thing that many forget, is that with rights comes responsibility.

Here, at the FiringLine, we stress being a responsible firearms owner. Over and above that, we are all responsible for our behavior and actions. On or off the keyboard.
Old December 18, 2009, 12:56 AM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperman
sarcasm <Well, thank goodness our First Amendment Rights have not been abrogated to the same degree as our Second Amendment Rights!>
Being free to communicate how and what you wish, including by your speech, by your actions, or by your dress, does not mean that doing so is without social consequences. You may be free to "communicate", but others are free to either pay attention or not. And others are also free to form opinions about you, your intentions, character, values, or beliefs based on how and what you "communicate."

If you choose to walk down the street wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with a swastika, you really can't complain if folks who see you figure that you have Nazi sympathies.
Old December 18, 2009, 05:18 AM   #8
blume357

Little back ground...

In 1974 I started my senior year in high school.... one of the classes that was mandatory to take was chemistry. I sat in class the first day and as the roll was called, the teacher informed me I was dismissed from the class... the previous science teacher had entered a note on my permanent record that I should not be allowed to take chemistry.....

about 10 years later and 6 of those of college the FBI comes knocking at my door because of a college speech class where I told how to make various bombs. Yep, they were looking for the Uni-bomber in 1985.

So, what you say can stay with you.

People tend to think out loud on the internet, and sometimes the things we think should be kept private.
Old December 18, 2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Scattergun Bob

It frequently amazes me to receive a e-mail from Asia, Africa or central Europe, concerning details of a 870 repair that has been forwarded "round the world"!

One of my mentors warnings then comes back to me loud and clear. "Bob, the world is watching, what have you given away today." My response to dear departed Ted, would be Too Much.

Be Careful what you write on the electronic chalkboards of current life, Truly, the world is watching.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:30 AM   #10
publius42

Quote:
Facebook is a quick way to lose your privacy and is so stupid... not even words...
There is little left of our privacy in the electronic world. When I found years ago that the county property tax records online reveal a LOT more about me than I care for anyone to know, I gave up. Yeah, I'm on Facebook. I got on as a joke, but it has reconnected me with lots of long-lost friends.
Old December 18, 2009, 05:45 PM   #11
Chipperman

My point in the above comment is that many Americans think they can say or type whatever they want. After all, it's free speech, right?

The reality is that saying or typing certain things online can come back to bite you just as easily as open carrying a gun, although both are legal.

Social stigma can curtail the First Amendment just as much as the Second.
Old December 19, 2009, 12:11 PM   #12
SIGSHR

"Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear" is the adage I live by.
"We were given speech to hide our thoughts."-Talleyrand.
Old December 19, 2009, 03:02 PM   #13
Uncle Buck

Quote:
1)My how the world has changed. When I was in school back in the 80s, we used to talk about blowing up the school over the weekend so we wouldn't have to go back on Monday. This was joking with teachers and bus drivers. It was considered funny. We even had a whole "plan" drawn up. We were going to repel into the chemistry lab and get the chemicals to make nitroglycerin. The teachers got a kick out of it. Today, we'd be arrested.
LMBO! When I was in school, again, late 70's/early 80's, we had a guy in chemistry class who, when asked what he was making, told the teacher, "Dynamite."
She asked him what he was going to do with it and he said he was going to blow up the big oak tree out in front of the school. The teacher laughed and never said anything else.
Two weeks later, John blew up the old Oak Tree in front of the school. Left a heck of a hole in the ground also. The now missing tree still appeared on the letter head of the school for at least another three years.

JUMP FORWARD: 1998, my neighbors son had just started high school and was pretty good with a computer. He made some cut and paste pictures of the high school and had the mushroom cloud appearing in the background. He posted it on either his ouwn website or on of those social networking sites and someone from the school saw it. Poor kid and the family ended up going through heck because of it.

We will track you, we have the technlogy. We know who you are and where you are, you can not hide.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:42 AM   #14
Marty Hayes

Consider this folks. You get into a shooting, and eventually are sued for wrongful death. During discovery, you are requested to provide to the plaintiff:

"copies of all internet postings on firearms related forums you have made during your life time, whether under your own name, or under any aliases or pen names."

Would you comply, or go back into the internet archives and start deleting posts in order to cover up things you might have said that you don't want exposed at trial, knowing that they (the plaintiff) may already have copies of those posts?

My rule, is I don't say anything on the internet I wouldn't want exposed at a trial. Keeps me civil and polite, if nothing else.
Old December 28, 2009, 02:42 AM   #15
jimpeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipitas View Post
You can yell "FIRE!" in a theater, contrary to what some would tell you. But should you cause a panic and people are injured in the ensuing panic, you are liable for damages... Doesn't matter if a fire is actually there or not.

The single thing that many forget, is that with rights comes responsibility.
If free speech in theaters were treated in the same way prior restraint laws affect firearms ownership; everyone would be issued a muzzle when they entered to prevent them from uttering the offending word "Fire!". Of course, this would also prevent them from shouting the offending word should an actual fire occur.

The affirmative defense in the event of shouting "Fire" in the event of an actual fire would be that there was an actual fire.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old December 28, 2009, 03:15 AM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Social stigma can curtail the First Amendment just as much as the Second.
It's not really a matter of "social stigma".

What it comes down to is that if you use your rights (it doesn't matter what particular "brand" of rights they are) in a foolish or illegal manner you shouldn't be surprised if you suffer negative consequences.
Old December 28, 2009, 08:17 AM   #17
Double Naught Spy

And yet we continually see people surprised when they do.