The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 09:44 PM   #1
WildBill45

My COLT S.A.A. CAN TALK

Did you know that my Colt S.A.A. can talk??? Seriously!!!

Hear it talk for yourself!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk7s7qfWNhc

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old February 18, 2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Bob Wright

Most single actions make those noises. You can silence it by holding the trigger back slightly. You will still get a click when the locking bolt snaps up into place.

To cock a single action silently, first fully cock the revovler. (NOTE THIS PLACES A LIVE ROUND UNDER THE HAMMER!) Then lower the hammer to the half cock position. When a shot presents itself, press the trigger as you draw the hammer to fully cocked then let it go forward to engage the hammer notch. Squeeze it off when the sights are aligned.

THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY THOSE EXPERIENCED IN HANDLING SINGLE ACTION REVOVLERS!

Bob Wright
Old February 19, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
TATER

Well sure, They all do. But that’s not what WildBill was gotten at..
A well times Colt has a signature sound. A Super Red Hawk has a distinct sound also, Click, Clack, Ca-cunk.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Bob Wright

I suppose what I'm saying is that four click sound is not unique to Colt. Most of my Rugers, Ubertis, and my Hy Hunter all make the same sound.

Sounds don't count, bullets on target do.

But my sixshooters seldom make that sound, as I hold the trigger back. Less wear on the sear that way.

Bob Wright
Old February 19, 2013, 10:50 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Mine usually just says . . . "I'm out of bullets .. . fill me up please."
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 22, 2013, 01:50 AM   #6
kcub

I love John Taffin's book Single Action Sixguns. He makes a good argument against the obsolescence of the single action revolver. Lots of gorgeous full color pictures of fine guns and exotic grips.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:44 AM   #7
WildBill45

Quote:
THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE BY THOSE EXPERIENCED IN HANDLING SINGLE ACTION REVOVLERS!
I was making fun. I have carried single actions in Africa, Canada, and all over the USA. I have taken many species of game over the world with them, and love them. But thanks for the tips anywho, you can always learn something new everyday.

Old February 23, 2013, 11:55 AM   #8
WildBill45

Quote:
I suppose what I'm saying is that four click sound is not unique to Colt.
That sound is unique to the second gen Colts, even the new COLTS do not have that sound. It is beyond just 4 clicks ... I guess most miss the point, and most have not heard the older Colts or can discern the difference of quality and less quality.

It doesn't matter if a Ruger, Alberti, or even a new Colt is pulled back, it does not have the quality of that Gen of Colts, that top shelf machine sound, it is tatamount to a Stradivarius sound vs. a new violin off the shelf of today! It is a Ferrari in a Cobalt world, a Picasso in a computer art world ... the shot group does not matter, as a $10.00 digital Timex keeps better time than a Rolex ... which one would you choose? A single action Colt of this grade is not a target gun ... I have other lesser guns, that I shoot in competition for that purpose.

Lighten up, appreciate the Old Breed and their handwork, that is all I am saying if you read between the lines...

Old February 23, 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Winchester_73

Quote:
I suppose what I'm saying is that four click sound is not unique to Colt. Most of my Rugers, Ubertis, and my Hy Hunter all make the same sound.
While tha'ts true, its true because they are imitators of the Colt SAA. Its not really like everyone makes SAAs the same, its more so that all of these SA revolver makers make their SAA in the Colt image. I thought of the analogy between the Harley Davidson sound and another motorcycle brand trying to emulate it because its classic.

Quote:
that top shelf machine sound, it is tatamount to a Stradivarius sound vs. a new violin off the shelf of today! It is a Ferrari in a Cobalt world, a Picasso in a computer art world
I know I like my 2 2nd gen SAAs, a 1967 5.5in and a 1959 12in buntline.

Old February 23, 2013, 04:51 PM   #10
WildBill45

WOW, that is a nice set of Colts. Mine is of 1957 variety, but they are all good. I never met a gun I didn't like, well, maybe a Rhino is beyond my taste, but other than that, I love em' all!!!