The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2013, 04:21 PM   #1
hogheaven

Let's talk .40 Smith

I have some speer 165 gr GDHP's and I have some Unique I want to use...I was thinking 5.5gr unique? anyone have any input on this?
Old July 7, 2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Marco Califo

Buy a Reloading Manual

Buy a Reloading Manual or look up your loads online:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/ Preferably do both.

Do NOT rely on what anyone says here without sanity checking it against either of the above.
Old July 7, 2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Idaho Spud

MC is right, but I have some input. 5.5 gr. of Unique with that bullet is well under a START load (as per Alliant) and your gun may or may not function with it. But only your gun knows for sure.
Old July 7, 2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Gster

You had better visit the link that Marco provided. 5.5 is way too low of a charge.
Old July 7, 2013, 09:36 PM   #5

IMO, the Gold Dot is such an excellent defense bullet that loading it over Unique would be kinda wasting a good bullet. If you have a SPEER manual, look at the data for Silhouette (or 3N37 which is a bit pricey). Silhouette will give you better performance with much lower flash which it's treated for. Having all the load manuals you can afford is a good thing!
Old July 8, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
serf 'rett

57K - My Speer Manual doesn't show a load with either Silhouette or 3N37. Do you have a Speer Manual which shows loads with the two powders you recommended?

The online Vihtavuori manual shows a 3N37 starting load of 7.3 grains and maximum load of 7.5 grains. In my opinion, this tight of range is not for beginners.

Hogheaven - Where did you get your 5.5 grain load? What resource? Reloading is not an activity where one guesses.

My Speer manual does show a load with the 165 grain GDHP and Unique. Starting load is 6.2 grains, max load 7.2 grains. CCI 500 primers, 1.120" COAL, Speer case, S&W 4" test barrel.

Always start low and work up.
Old July 8, 2013, 11:08 PM   #7

No I said SPEER when I should have said SIERRA. I was thinking about the Gold Dot being made by SPEER. SIERRA lists data for Silhouette and 3N37.

There is also data for Silhouette here: http://www.ramshot.com/load-data/
Old July 9, 2013, 09:23 AM   #8
serf 'rett

57K - Thanks!

I've considered trying 3N37 in my 40S&W. N320 produced decent groups, but got really good groups with N340. I’ve wondered if 3N37 would do even better.

Silhouette is another powder on the list of “powders to be tried” since I’ve seen it a few times locally.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:28 AM   #9
chiefr

IMHO, Unique is very good with the 40 SW.
Old July 9, 2013, 10:18 AM   #10
serf 'rett

On June 19, I loaded three test series with Berry's 165 Hollow Back Flat Point Thick Plated bullets. The powders to be tested are W-231, Unique and Power Pistol.

It was a tad to warm after our IDPA match last Saturday, so I didn't stay and test the series. Perhap this coming weekend we'll see what Unique will do with that particular Berry's bullet.
Old July 9, 2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Unique is very close to N340 in QuickLOAD. The data there is almost interchangeable in this cartridge with your bullet. I would knock 15% off a top N340 load and use that with Unique as a starting point for load workup.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 9, 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Ruger45LC

As for Unique, and specifically 5.5gr of it for a 165gr Gold Dot, that seems pretty light as even 5.5gr with a 180gr (something I've loaded) is fairly light.

Alliant shows 6.8gr as max for a 180gr, and I know that 6.5gr of Unique will send a 180gr JHP @ 1.120" over 1050 fps from a 4" G23, and right at 1200 fps from a 6" bbl.

So Alliant shows 7.2gr as max for the 165gr Gold Dot, 5.5gr is nearly 2.0gr below that. I'd start around 6.5gr and work up from there.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:17 PM   #13

serf 'rett, 3N37 is excellent but pricey. Silhouette covers the same performance level unless you're looking at older V-V data. I don't know why the current data at Lapua is so narrow for 3N37 with the 165 TC FMJ, but the 7.5 gr. Max listed is a bit on the light side in comparison to SIERRA's data. I'm thinking V-V was after target grade accuracy. Lyman's data that is held at or below 24,000 CUP shows their max. charge of 3N37 with a SPEER 165 gr. TMJ at 7.3 grs., the same as the V-V Start Charge with pressure only at 22,000 CUP.

And speaking of Target grade accuracy, there is another powder you might want to add to your list for consideration and that's True Blue. It's given me the best accuracy to date and I pursued it after reading several good reloading articles on .40 S&W accuracy where it graded out best overall with Silhoutte and WSF being about an equal second. True Blue, according to QuickLoad, gives the lowest burn temps as well. I don't use Unique or any other flake pistol propellant. Flash can be greatly reduced with denser sphericals where Silhouette is chemically treated for it. I use it in high velocity 9mm loads as well as some .45 ACP loads where it excels.

QuickLoad, unfortunately, predicts an over-pressure condition for 2 of Hodgdon's Max. Loads with 180 gr. JHPs. Universal and it's even worse for LongShot. HS-6 did fine. I don't have the program, but because I recommend sphericals just slower than Unique on Hodgdon's burn rate chart that starts with N330 and goes down to AA#7, especially to newer reloaders, a reloading moderator on another forum ran the numbers and sent me the data. Longshot is shown to be a tad slower burning than AA#7 but he included it anyway. Missing from QuickLoads analysis was WSF, AutoComp and SR4756 that is flake, but it's also single based and usually has good pressure stability in the .40 or the 9mm.