The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 29, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1
michaelcj

Parkerizing Removal

I'm wondering if there is a tried and true method / chemical that removes parkerizing.

I suspect that it's going to be physical/mechanical for removing it unless you all can give me Ideas,

I came into 1903A3 [Smith Corona] that had already been sporterized [so all you purists sit down and take a deep breath] barrel cut down to 22", stock cut down, williams front ramp, Lyman receiver sight, original sights long gone [front and rear]. All that being said it is in good shape.

One of my "always wanted" is a Sedgely Springfield conversion. I have a nice stock blank so the restocking is not an issue. What I am considering is stripping the parkerizing, cleaning up and polishing the action, redoing the bolt handle, and re-barreling to 25-06. And blueing the finished product.

Okay let the wailing and gnashing of teeth commence.... but could you let me know if there is an "easy" way to strip parkerizing.

Thanks guys

Mike J.
Old October 29, 2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Don H

http://www.iosso.com/MivaStore/merch...de=GunCleaning
Old October 29, 2011, 08:35 PM   #3
michaelcj

Thank you Don!
Old October 29, 2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Slopemeno

Just polish it. That'll take the parkerizing off. You'll have to start low on the polishing compound scale (240 probably) and work your way up, as the bead blasting done prior to parkerizing digs some surprisingly deep pits.

If you're going to re-barrel it there's really not much metal to refinish, when you think about it.