The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 2, 2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Buzzard

.223 for mountain lion

I have a friend that asked me to come out to his ranch and help him with some coyotes and he said there was a big cat too. Will the .223 be ok for the lion or will I need a bigger caliber. Then again is it going to come down to shot placement ?????
Old October 2, 2008, 08:24 AM   #2
taylorce1

Treed cats are killed with .22 Hornets on a regular basis when they are hunted with hounds. I don't know if a .223 will pile up a cat on a dead run if it is after you but it will kill it. Mountain Lions are pretty thin skinned so put the bullet in the right place and you should be fine, but I'd still stick to 55 grain soft points or heavier and stay away from the dedicated varmint bullets.
Old October 2, 2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Jager78

I just read a article about a 80 year old woman that took a mountain lion down with a old .22 rifle. Her dog was barking at the beast which alerted her to it's presence.

Her second shot hit it in the chest which layed low the snarling cat which was 20-25 yards away.
However it was only six months old and weighed in at 30-40 pounds.

She stated that she was glad it was a little cat or else she didn't think her .22 would have brought it down. She also keeps her rifle loaded and stated
"What good's a gun if it's not loaded?" (She lives on her Ranch)

I think a .223 will be fine, but I would prefer using a .308 or .30-06
Old October 2, 2008, 04:40 PM   #4
tplumeri

I'm all about a clean kill, so anything 40 pounds and up gets 303, 30-30 or 30-06.
22 may do the job at 25 yards, but I'm usually shooting 100 yards+.
at that range a 22 is only good for squirrels and groundhogs.
up close the larger stuff gets the 357 blackhawk or 6" python.

about the OP 223. clean kill is possible for almost any game or varmint. like the old real estate blurb; location, location, location. substitute "placement" for location.
Old October 2, 2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Buzzard

I might just take my Nagant with me then and wear my .45 colt.
I hope not to get too close.
Old October 2, 2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Jager78

Good thinking!
It's best to be safe

Happy Hunting!
Old October 2, 2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Adventurer 2

I was living in Sierra Vista, AZ when I think it was the Department of Wildlife shut down all of the trails. A hunter had wounded a mountain lion. Whoever was in charge brought out dogs and tracked the mountain lion down. It was a serious event - a mountain lion has amazing stealth, strength, agility, and speed and being wounded makes it a danger to everybody. That hunter was bitched up and down non-stop. Just make sure you get the lion.
Old October 2, 2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I would take a shot at a mountain lion with a .223, with a couple of caveats. First off, I'd use one of the heavier bullets intended for deer, for instance. I forget the brand, but my slow-twist Ruger is accurate with a round-nosed 70-grain bullet.

The other point is to shoot at a lion that's not moving, or is just walking along slowly. "Way out yonder" would be a no-no, as would be a shot at a running lion.

(A just-spooked lion can go a hundred yards in maybe four or five seconds. Odds are, a running shot is a waste of time.)
Old October 2, 2008, 09:44 PM   #9
hellbilly hellraiser

i dont know about you but i handload all my shells. so i have hot loads for coyote in .223 with nosler ballistic tips. they will take down a kitty no problem.
either a head shot or heart. and i wouldn't go over 75 yds. with factory loads.
Old October 2, 2008, 10:05 PM   #10
Tombstonejim

Well we got lions around here. I have seen three in the last year on my own property and I vote a 223 is too small. I carry a 45-70 myself.
Old October 2, 2008, 11:03 PM   #11
Yellowfin

Your Nagant should do well. When in cat country I either have a .30-06 or .30-30 and when possible my .40 on my side.
Old October 2, 2008, 11:40 PM   #12
globemaster3

Shot placement, don't shoot a cat on the run, blah blah blah...

With a .223, and a cat on the run at me, my tactical plan would consist of emptying the whole magazine on him while screaming like a little girl!!!!! (no offense Tamara!)

Those buggars are stealth personified from my brief (very) exposure in WA state. If he's going to take you, he'll do it at a time of his chosing in a manner most advantageous to him and you probably won't know the gig is up until you see him pounce or come blazing at you full bore!

My point is unless you are out intentionally chasing kitties, your encounter is probably going to take you by surprise. Put that into your equation.

And bring an extra pair of underwear!!!
Old October 3, 2008, 10:07 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The four colors apply out in the boonies, just as on the streets of a city. Avoid Condition White. You control your environment by being aware of your surroundings, as Condition Yellow says to do. That's above and behind, as well as ahead and at your feet.