The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2000, 05:03 PM   #1
Big George

Curious as to whether to buy the Volquartsen trigger kit for $75, and install it myself, or pay a smith $75. to do an action job.

I would like to get about 2-2.5 lbs, crisp, to compliment my Kimber and Springfield.
Old August 2, 2000, 07:57 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Big George, it's 6 of one and half dozen of another if the drop in parts will give you the trigger you want. Personally I'd rather have a smith do it. George
Old August 2, 2000, 09:12 AM   #3
JoeHatley

Big George,

The Volquartsen kit is more than capable of getting you the let off you are looking for. It did in my 22/45.

The real question is do you want to mess with it, or do you have someone handy to farm the job out to?

If you like to tinker, it's a fun project...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old August 2, 2000, 09:18 AM   #4
Big George

Thanks George, I am leaning toward the smith route.

I was lucky on my Charles Daly, when another old jarhead and I dropped in a bunch of parts and came out with a great 1911 with a 2.5 lb. crisp trigger. It's totally reliable.

With the Ruger, I'm more cautious, cuz, although I've had the gun apart several times, I don't feel comfortable trying a trigger job. If, indeed, the Volquartsen kit just "drops in" I would be in good shape. That's why I queried this board. The stock gun has about a 3.5 lb trigger with lots of take up, and gobs of overtravel. That won't hack it!

Hopefully, we'll hear from somebody who has done the Volquartsen kit. (Same as Mark II)
Old August 3, 2000, 11:20 AM   #5
Corey

I would not mind getting an answer on this topic either. I just bought a Ruger Mark II with the 5.5" bull barrel. I tried it out a week ago and it is a better shooter than I am at this time, but the trigger travel has quite a bit to be desired. My main problem with taking it to smithy is that I am Canadian and the government has made it a pain in the butt to take a pistol to a smithy. If somebody could answer Big George's question about the "ease" of drop in parts, I might order them and do it myself.
Old August 3, 2000, 05:23 PM   #6
Ledbetter

Greetings,

When I first got my MkII I asked about trigger work on this board and somebody clued me in that the trigger improves with use, especially if you don't lube the workings. I have found this to be true. You may want to shoot the gun for six or eight months and then decide. Doubt that the release weight will decrease to 2.5#, though.

Regards,

Ledbetter