The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old January 11, 2002, 11:50 AM   #1
PreserveFreedom

USA/Canada SBR

As I understand it, there is no minimum length for a rifle in Canada. That leads to a tricky question. If someone is a resident of a US state, but has a summer/winter home that they spend a month per year in in Canada, can they have a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) providing it is kept at their summer home?

Old January 11, 2002, 12:35 PM   #2
SDC

You're only partly right; if the gun in question is a center-fire semi-automatic with a barrel shorter than 470mm (18 1/2"), then it's treated as a "restricted weapon" in Canada, meaning that you have to belong to a shooting club, the rifle has to be registered, and the only place you can take it is to and from that club. You also have the problem that the gov't can (and HAS) arbitrarily decided that any OTHER firearm of any type can also be classed as a "restricted weapon". In practice, all military-style semi-autos in Canada are considered either "restricted" or "prohibited" (the only way you can get an AK-style rifle in Canada is if you had one before the law was passed, and no new ones are allowed in.) However, Canadian law makes no difference between a rifle with a 16" barrel and a 12" barrel; they're both treated as "restricted". If you thought that US law was f**ked-up, you should see what we have to deal with sometimes.
Old January 12, 2002, 08:50 AM   #3
PreserveFreedom

Oh man that does suck. Looks like if I can ever afford a summer home there, I should stick to 18½ or better.

Old January 21, 2002, 10:00 PM   #4
Moe

Lets end some confusion. Yes you can own a SBR in Canada. If it is semiauto and it's barrel is less then 18.5" it will be restricted and can only be taken to and from a range. NOT only the range you belong to but ANY range you want as long as you permit allows you to. Here is what you do. You tell the Provincial Firearm Office that you wan't an ATT (authorization to transport for you restricted weapon say a 7" barrel ar15 and that you will be using it for sport shooting at many ranges in the province.) bango your att will now sa something like mine. Transport to and from any range in the province of N.B.
If there SBR is not semi auto it will not be restricted unless it's overall length is shorter than 26". A non restricted SBR is bush legal and no ATT bull[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] required. That means go hunting with a mossberg 590a1 with a 14" barrel!

I hope this helps
Moe
NFA
DVC