The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 2, 2013, 02:26 AM   #1
bamaranger

another piece of useful gear (clothing)

I started using a GI surplus extreme cold weather parka shell (shell only, no liner or hood) this year as an outer garment and a final layer, and have decided I've hit on to something.

Its light, I can roll it up and tote it easily. When worn, it extends way below my waist, about mid thigh, and for long sits, eliminates the draft that happens at waist/belt line (could it be...hunters butt?) A bit long for walks in the brush, but then you can stash it, right? In open country, its light enough to be worn while walking or active. Turns the wind well, and is mildly water resistant, but its not a rain coat. Its quiet. Both of mine are mostly cotton. HD zippers and buttons. Warm, wool lined pockets. With the liner and hood, it could be really warm, but I don't need it. The fur lined hood looks too much like a deer tail (!!!) too. I got mine as a gift, but the local surplus stores are carrying them for about $35 bucks, w/o hood or liner. Its not camo, but when worn with knee boots, camo pants, camo hat, and especially if half buttoned, from seated anyhow, blends well with most outdoors settings.

Its warmer than it seems it should be, versatile, and durable. and is now a standard item with me!
Old February 2, 2013, 09:32 PM   #2
kraigwy

I used one of those parka's while in the Alaska NG, spending many days in nights in extreme sub zero temps and wind blowing across the Bering Sea Ice.

They WORK. When cross country skiing the roll up and set on top of your pack for easy acess when you stop.

I'd recommend you get the field pants to go with them. You can find them on E-bay, along with the liners.

With the wool og shirts and pants underneith, you can stand around a long time is super sub zero temps of minus 50-60.

I left mine in Alaska, but it didn't take long in the Wyoming wind for me to find some more.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 3, 2013, 11:15 AM   #3
shortwave

Good call bamaranger.

Have used the GI cold weather parka for many years. Not only hunting, but kept one rolled up and tucked away in the motorcycle saddle bags for long vacation trips. Never knew where we were going to end up and a few overnight tent stays up in the mountains, the parka came in handy.

Quote:
and is mildly water resistant, but its not a rain coat.
You are right as well about the parka being mildly water resistant but water resistance in the parka can be greatly increased by spraying it down with a waterproofing, silicone spray... ...still not a raincoat though.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
GeauxTide

My oldest was stationed at Minot and he really liked that gear when on the flight line at 50 below. I invested in Browning XPO 4 in 1 and Bibbs a couple of years ago. Last hunt was 20 degrees with a 25mph wind. Only thing cold was the tip of my nose.