The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 22, 2012, 10:04 AM   #26
Mastiff37

What is Cimarron's SAA called? I'm not enjoying their site at all... just pull down menus where you keep guessing what something might be based on the name.

Incidentally, any comments on the Cimarron Schofield?
Old September 22, 2012, 11:57 AM   #27
gak

Mastiff37,
I think most of the clones are a bit guilty of that. In a sense, Cimarron's closest SAA equivalent actually is aptly named, it's just that some folks don't make the connection/recognize. It's the "Model P"--per Colt's original Model P moniker--which has a few variants of finish/trim. Once there on the website, you can see other models, when viewed are basically the same gun, just may have some special feature like factory tune job, or super short barrel, birdshead grip (which was never a Colt factory offering in their SAA line (DA yes - 1877 and 1878 models).
the "Model P Jr" is just that - a 3/4 (or whatever) scale "P" for smaller calibers or, in the case of .38, less powerful and shorter cartridges.

I think they all try to stay away from the most often used
name used by Colt of "SAA" or "Single Action Army" since they are not, in fact, SAA's but clones, ...especially while Colt is still building them (and may still be proprietary?)...But yes, it can be confusing. Especially Uberti itself (their own website/offerings, with close to a dozen--it seems--different monikers for essentially the same gun (but different finishes, etc). Believe it or not, Cimarron is one of the least-worst offenders!

Last edited by gak; September 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old September 22, 2012, 02:00 PM   #28
Jim March

Trademarked terms never expire.

SAA is trademarked.

"Model P" isn't.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:27 PM   #29
pete2

Colt makes the SAA, the others are not SAA's. Some are copies, some are SA but not model P's
Old September 22, 2012, 05:50 PM   #30
Bob Wright

I beg your pardon, but mine is a Cimarron Model P.

Bob Wright
Old September 22, 2012, 08:04 PM   #31
gak

Bob Wriight said:
" I beg your pardon, but mine is a Cimarron Model P."

...As is mine. All clones, by definition, are patterned after the Colt Single Action Army, aka Model P - only Cimarron among them calls it that. Look it up - their site lists a number of variants of "Model P's."
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Mod...delPStdFin.htm
When EMF marketed Ubertis, theirs was called the Hartford. Their current Piettas are called "Great Western IIs." Taylors has a whole line up of Uberti SAA clones with their own names, Uberti (itself) even more.

Last edited by gak; September 22, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:34 PM   #32
Master Blaster 2

And Ubertis makes the Colt parts...
Old September 23, 2012, 07:07 AM   #33
Gdawgs

I went to the local gunshow yesterday, and a guy had several actual Colt SAAs. One was probably 85% from the mid 1880s. The nickel was still very nice. I've seen many 20 year guns in far worse shape. I was tempted, except for the $30,000 price tag
Old September 23, 2012, 07:24 AM   #34
redhawk45

I don't think Uberti makes the Colt Single Action Army parts please show your data.
Old September 23, 2012, 02:54 PM   #35
royal barnes

Uberti does not make parts for Colts SAA's. If you know better please let us see your sources.
Old September 23, 2012, 03:54 PM   #36
rep1954

Uberti has never made Colt SAA parts. Uberti has however made parts for the Colt release of the modern black powder cap and ball revolvers which were finished and assembled in the U.S.A..
Old September 23, 2012, 08:10 PM   #37
Jim March

Quote:
And Ubertis makes the Colt parts...
You are a liar.

Back in the 1970s Colt did a short run of open-top cap'n'ball reproductions made with Italian (likely Uberti?) parts. And there is some speculation that the Colt Cowboy (a transfer-bar equipped SAA near-clone under the Colt brand at Ruger prices) had Italian bits in it to some degree, esp. given the horrendous quality control problems with the early specimens. But both those product lines are long since dead, by decades.

Colt does not in the current tense ("makes") use any Italian source parts.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:30 PM   #38
Master Blaster 2

Ya think Colt sells Chinese imports? Is everything made in the USA?

http://www.coltsmfg.com/ShopOnline/t...ngApparel.aspx

Ref Colt parts not my lie Jim. Maybe Adler lied?:
Dennis Adler's, 'Second Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values', published by Blue Book Publications.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; September 23, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:39 PM   #39
pete2

Sorry guys, anything that is not a Colt is a copy. It doesn't matter if the MFG calls it a Model P or SAA, it ain't.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:48 PM   #40
Magnum Wheel Man

errr... well the Rugers are not copys per se... even though on their latest model they "sized it more like a Colt"
Old September 25, 2012, 12:49 PM   #41
gak

Pete, I don't thin anyone (or most) are saying they're literally SAAs or (as in original) Model P's, just saying that Cimarron--for one--makes a nice copy they call, aptly, the Model P...and, as someone intimated, it was because they could--not a protected name. Just as Rossis and Chiappas or even the excellent older Brownings are "their 92s or 1892s" - no one would say they ARE original 92s, of course not.
Edit - There was a complaint about Cimarron about bein hard to decipher their website, what the heck they call their SAA (suggesting their equivalent or copy). Turns out they, almost uniquely, call theirs something that's pretty descriptive of what it is.

Last edited by gak; September 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old September 25, 2012, 01:10 PM   #42
temmi

Best is relative

For general shooting & hunting I would (and did) get a Ruger BH

If all I was going to do is CAS then I would get the Colt or USFA

Most likely a USFA

Snake
Old September 25, 2012, 01:31 PM   #43
pete2

To be sure the best SA would be the Ruger Blackhawk followed by the Vaquero. Both are sorta kinda copies of a Colt, both accurate and super strong guns.
I was just funnun ya.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:07 PM   #44
savit260

Other than the Vaquero cosmetically resembles a SAA, they BH and Vaquero don't have much in common with the Colt SAA other than they are both single actions.

The finest SAA style gun I've ever shot or handled was a USFA.

If we are to include all single action type revolvers (ones that aren't Colt clones as well) you aren't going to beat the quality fit and finish of a Freedom Arms in an out of the box factory revolver. I've got an Interearms Virginian Dragoon that I'd give an honorable mention to as well, but still it's not up to Freedom Arms standards.

The Rugers are solid values though, but aren't in the same league with USFA or Freedom Arms IMO.
Old September 26, 2012, 09:22 PM   #45
yournodaisy

Well..I like the Rugers too..used to have one..but..if firing pin ain't on the hammer...forget it as a colt copy. Cowboy gun has GOT to have firing pin on hammer..jmho..and that ain't much lol.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:57 PM   #46
soonerfan09

Blackhawk

You can't go wrong with a ruger blackhawk. They will shoot hot reloads all day long. I picked mine up for use as a sidearm on hunting trips, and it has never failed me. Really great piece it's chambered in .357 and has the 4 5/8" barrel. Very strong and durable weapon.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:12 AM   #47
Scorch

Well, the only one that can call itself Single Action Army is Colt, so I suppose the answer to your question is Colt. All the others are clones.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:43 AM   #48
Clark

In double action, I am a Colt fan, but for SAA, I have a couple Uberti Cattleman 45LC revolvers I really like. I run the Cattleman hot; 1225 fps 4.5" barrel 250 gr XTP.

I have had a Ruger Blackhawk for 5 years and only fired one shot. Not ergonomic if the hammer cuts into the web of my hand with big recoil. If I take it apart and cut off the sharp corners, I may shoot it again.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 29, 2012, 11:39 PM   #49
Venom1956

Shame I really wanted a USFA 12/22 4 5/8" barrel Didn't know they discontinued it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 30, 2012, 08:02 AM   #50
Laz

Quote:
Not ergonomic if the hammer cuts into the web of my hand with big recoil.
Are you certain of that after firing "one shot"?

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.