The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 1, 2012, 12:46 AM   #1
warbirdlover

Working on my blind this week

I think you've all seen pics of it by now. If not I posted some and also my hunting partners jabs at it..... It needs to be leveled since it settled at quit a tilt after building it last summer. Also going to beef up the windows with some 2X4's for stiffness. Something to do in a winter with hardly any snow, sun all week long and won't have to battle ticks and tall grass.

I was going to paint it black, put some wagon wheels on it, hook a horse up and it would be my "Amish portable blind".....

One of the guys thought that UPS was due to pick it up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blinded1.jpg (197.5 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg blinded2.jpg (150.0 KB, 169 views)
Old February 1, 2012, 07:01 AM   #2
homesick

I think you have to much time on your hands. So this is what you do while your ruger is getting glassed.
Old February 1, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
warbirdlover

You're right. I'm retired. I have WAY too much time on my hands.. (while it lasts until I croak)....

Old February 1, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4
wild willy

They say honesty is the best policy so here goes.If I build something that looked like that I would not post multiple pictures of it on the internet.I hope when you have carpentry work to do at home you hire somebody
Old February 1, 2012, 12:29 PM   #5
warbirdlover

Quote:
They say honesty is the best policy so here goes.If I build something that looked like that I would not post multiple pictures of it on the internet.I hope when you have carpentry work to do at home you hire somebody

wild willy
I have a golfing buddy (young guy) who is also a carpenter by trade who does all my home work. I'm not as dumb as I look!! And yes, my blind is ugly but VERY functional! And warm. And dry. And comfortable.
Old February 1, 2012, 01:00 PM   #6
homesick

I moved down here (florida) 15 years ago, great move at the time. I am now about 1 year from retirement and am trying to figure out how to get my wife convinced to move back up north. Like they say hind sight is 20/20. This is a great place to live for most folks but not for me.
Warbird your deer blind looks great, I would have gone with more bergers then the Mex stuff but each to his own
Old February 1, 2012, 01:57 PM   #7
AllenJ

Look forward to seeing pics of the finished product Warbird and hopefully of the deer you take using it.
Old February 1, 2012, 06:08 PM   #8
farmerboy

Finally someone knows how to make a roof that overhangs the walls plenty. Sure makes it nice when it's raining and you don't get wet inside.
Old February 1, 2012, 06:25 PM   #9
603Country

Reading that you were working on your blind forced me to get up and work on a couple of mine. They were out of level. I still have one to work on. I wish the only problem was that it was out of level. It's the oldest and is barely hanging together. I guess I'll have to work on it too. I've also got one blind that I can't hunt in. I inherited it when we bought this place. It's an honest to goodness one-holer outhouse that somebody moved out to the woods. Still has the toilet seat (it's a fancy one-holer). Buzzards have been laying eggs and raising babies for years in it and it flat stinks. You may not know it, but baby buzzards are a nice tan color and are quite cute. They get ugly fast though.
Old February 1, 2012, 06:30 PM   #10
abelacres

Nice. Wish I had built mine that big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0146.jpg (248.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by abelacres; February 1, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: add picture
Old February 1, 2012, 09:35 PM   #11
BIG P

Good idea, but might add cold beer,burgers & bag corn to your list of products.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:18 AM   #12
BIGR

You just need to add something to it. Write this on the front of it. Free corn for all bucks, step right up to the maple tree and someone will help you..........

No all jokes aside that is a real nice hunting blind that I am jealous of. My brother in law keeps saying we are going to build some for our hunting lease.

Also abelacres, I like your way of thinking, nice blind.
Old February 2, 2012, 10:04 PM   #13
warbirdlover

Quote:
Look forward to seeing pics of the finished product Warbird and hopefully of the deer you take using it.
What do you mean when it's done. It IS done!

Quote:
Finally someone knows how to make a roof that overhangs the walls plenty. Sure makes it nice when it's raining and you don't get wet inside.
That roof kept me nice and dry this fall! The old blind had the snow blowing in the windows and was just a pain. That's also why I put the windows up high (closer to the roof). You can stand or sit on my tall, pivoting barstool and it's perfect.

We got it all leveled today. Took all of 15 minutes. Was REALLY tiliting! There was snow on the ground so noted the deer tracks. They've got a new route "behind" where I usually look which might be why I didn't see much this year. They've totally changed their habits! The same by my brother's stand. He's got two trails that look like super highways going "behind" his normal view also. Won't make any difference though. He sleeps most of the day in his stand...

Oh yeah, I got a nice light in there also. And a 25 gallon propane tank with a heater on top.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg blinded4.jpg (117.8 KB, 98 views)
Old February 3, 2012, 06:27 PM   #14
603Country

Ya know...I just can't let Warbirdlover outdo me on the blind. I'm going to pull the top off of my favorite blind and put in a new roof with a cathedral ceiling.

How'd you do all that computer lettering on the picture of the blind? That was great!
Old February 3, 2012, 10:09 PM   #15
warbirdlover

My brother is good with photomanipulation and did it as a joke. He was "commissioned" to do it my my SIL.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:32 PM   #16
johnmcgowan

I'd hunt out of this thing in a heart beat! The days before blinds, I remember going deer hunting with my dad from age 5 and the ground would be rock hard from the frost and cold and I would have to sit down next to a tree and try to be still while we waited on the other folks to turn the dogs loose .There I was with my bb gun, all shivering. I froze my butt off ! LOL

And CONGRATS to warbirdlover on his 1600th post!!! WTG Jerry!!!
Old February 7, 2012, 11:41 PM   #17
langenc

I wouldnt stop there-prices are way out of line. The guy down the way is cheaper and you get coffee refills.
Old February 8, 2012, 12:50 AM   #18
johnmcgowan

And Im still waiting for him to put up his drive thru service lane.
Old February 8, 2012, 10:05 AM   #19
warbirdlover

1600 posts? What a blabber mouth I am....