The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 5, 2002, 08:28 PM   #1
demarpaint

Marvel Mystery Oil ??????

I heard about Marvel Mystery Oil being used for cleaning and protecting rifle barrels. I also heard of it being mixed with STP and other oils etc. Can anyone who uses this give me an idea how its used and what it does?

Thanks

Frank D
Old October 7, 2002, 11:49 AM   #2
PKAY

I'm the one with the "home brew" of MMO and STP. I have no scientific data whatsoever to back up its use other than a recommendation from an engineer at work (aerospace). I mix it with STP to obtain the right (or what I think is the right) viscosity, an almost 50 wt type. In using it for the past year, my handgun actions, both pistol and revo, are smooth as silk and it doesn't dry out in the safe over time like most other lubes I have used.

That said, I must defer to the resident tribologist on TFL, George of FP-10 fame. I have just received my order from him and lubed up a Model 29-2 with it. Unlike my anecdotal experience with a "home brew," George has reems of scientific evidence to support his product claims. Check out the thread called "lube" for more info than you ever wanted including a breakdown of the chemical properties of MMO (courtesy of George).

Like politics and religion this is an area of vast disagreement among "lubers" some of whom are extremely knowledgeable (George) and some not (me). The best thing to do is try them out. BTW, I wouldn't use MMO alone (too thin for me).
Old October 7, 2002, 12:14 PM   #3
Romulus

Just thinking out loud, maybe George or Cruzer could chime in...Marvel also makes a lubricating oil, called guess what Marvel Lubricating Oil, which should be the sam as MMO but without the solvents. If I were to mix my own, I'd use the MLO rather than the MMO...

My concern with any lubricant though would be the anti-wear and EP additives without the acid scavenging components we've heard about...

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano