The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 8, 2012, 01:26 AM   #76
Brit

I have never been in a gun fight, been in lots of fights. At 77 YOA this month, I most probably not going to be in one, you never know, but the odds are against it.

I was once in a fist/feet, fight in a nice Indian Restaurant in St Helens Lancashire, UK. The year was 1968.

The physical equivalent to a No Shoot, was sitting with his Wife, in a nice brown suit, collar and tie, gleaming black shoes.

It was not that big of a Restaurant. I got dragged into this fight (first Wife had a mouth problem, opened it at the wrong time, sorry Irene!)

In the excitement, fighting 4 Yobs, is kind of exciting, the afore mentioned Gentleman (In Brown Suit) jumped to his feet, off to my right, just inside my peripheral vision, I spun, and kicked him in the chest!

Just a couple of minutes, fight was over, whilst these young chaps thought you had to talk/swear, to warm up to fight! Thats how they do it in the movies!

I had not been to that school, came out kicking and punching (I know, we Brits are uncouth) American Citizen now!

Mr. Brown Suit was sat on the floor, against the wall, opening and closing his mouth, like a fish.

Imagine his Wife, dressed nice as well, in a broad Lancashire accent said to me, "What did you hit my Husband for?"

Me, swamped in adrenalin, answered "I don't know" very intellegent answer, that No Shoot had no holes in him, but was badly winded.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:21 PM   #77
siska

Jim Cirillo is on record saying that IPSC matches

stressed him more than his many shootouts. I've had to put my ccw gun away when a car backfired and muscle memory drew it without any thought on my part! :-)
Old October 12, 2012, 01:25 PM   #78
Brit

A few years ago, at a IALEFI Annual Training Conference, Jim Cirillo was running a live fire exercise. Poor light, picture no shoot targets, I was monitoring the live fire shoots (Board member) at lunch time, Jimmy said did I want to shoot it?

I said yes, turning a sharp corner, even after a quick peek! A man in coveralls (Picture target) with a large wrench shoulder high came into view, I shot it twice neck and head.

He laughed his head off! I was the only person to shoot that target.

Great guy.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:10 AM   #79
Pistolgripshotty

This is pretty much common sense....the more you do... the better you do it!
Old November 5, 2012, 12:20 AM   #80
Czsig

"Meditations on Violence" by Sgt. Rory Miller
Old November 5, 2012, 01:16 AM   #81
zombietactics

Quote:
... I've had to put my ccw gun away when a car backfired and muscle memory drew it without any thought on my part! ...
I'm not sure that inspires confidence in the notion of competition-as-training. Drawing a gun should always be based upon the identification of a threat, not a reflexive reaction to ambiguous stimuli, IMHO.
Old November 5, 2012, 05:39 AM   #82
Sport45

Wasn't there a competition shooter a little while back that drew and fired to prevent a carjacking or something and missed with every round? My Google skills are letting me down as I can't find anything about it now.

I have no doubt that competition and practice will help. But I don't think it guarantees good performance.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:03 AM   #83
Nanuk

Quote:
Wasn't there a competition shooter a little while back that drew and fired to prevent a carjacking or something and missed with every round? My Google skills are letting me down as I can't find anything about it now.
I am sure it happened more than once.

I worked with a guy in El Paso in the 90's that shot IPSC. He emptied his 45 at the BG from 3 feet hit 1 time.

Just because someone is a "competitive shooter" does not mean they are any good. We are all competitive with each other, just depends on the venue.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.