The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2005, 08:56 PM   #1
Wildalaska

300 H&H Loads

Id love to see who has messed with the 300 H&H and what you are using...

Wildineedtolovemy300H&HAlaska
Old October 17, 2005, 11:43 AM   #2
Snowshoe Joe

My Pa had two 300 H&H's built on Model 70 actions way back in the 50's. One for him, one for my oldest brother. Bird's eye maple stocks from blanks hand selected at Herter's. Inlays, wild rollover combs. The whole Roy Weatherby California deal taken up another notch. Neither has 500 rounds down the barrel. All factory ammo until a couple weeks ago when I worked up a couple loads.

No rocket science. In one rifle, Nosler 150 BT with 76.0 H4831SC (one grain off Hodgdon's max) in hard to find Win brass using Winchester magnum primers. Should be going 3300 out of a 26" barrel, but can't confirm that as the muzzle blast stunned the chrongraph! Shoots an honest 1.25" 3 shot group at 100 yards. In this gun, store bought Federal Premium w/180 Nosler Partitions shoots 2" groups at $2 a shot.

The other load is for my 14 year old great nephew, who will shoot a buck this fall with his great gramp's shooting iron. 66.0 H4831SC and Hornady 150 SST. Loaded it down to factory 308 Win velocity for reduced recoil. Shoots just over 3/4".

http://photobucket.com/albums/b149/snowshoejoe1/?sc=6

will take you to kind of a four generation picture. Pa left the field 19 years ago, and his Model 70 has been pretty much retired until now. Thats his great grand son shooting his rifle for the first time.