The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2005, 12:49 PM   #1
kingudaroad

sorting 44 mag brass by length

I know almost nobody trims their pistol brass, and mine always seems to be between the 1.275 trim and the 1.285 max length. After resizing I've started to divide the brass by length. 1.275 - 1.280 in one batch and 1.280 - 1.285 in another. The reason I started doing this was to help me get a more consistent crimp with my redding profile crimp die. It seemed as though some were getting crimped heavier than others and this has seemed to help and it is sure easier than trimming. Does anyone else do this?
Old October 14, 2005, 04:47 PM   #2
Ifishsum

I pretty much do the same thing you do for my .357 mag, for the same reason. I like consistent crimps
Old October 14, 2005, 08:33 PM   #3
918v

If you trim them, you'll never have to trim them again. Seems like a worthwhile thing to do. A Lee trimmer is cheap.
Old October 15, 2005, 03:40 AM   #4
mtnboomer

Get a Lee case trimmer and cutter for a .44 Mag, trim all the brass to the same length and you won't have any more problems with the crimp.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old October 15, 2005, 06:54 AM   #5
RERICK

I don't sort it by size but I do trim all of it at one point or another with the Lee trimmer.Its simple,cheap and fast and it really does do a good job.I recently switched to the Lee factory crimp die and that has taken care of any crimping issues like a case being a little longer or shorter.Now I get nice consistant crimps and if the case is slighty longer and I'm only talking as much as 1 or 2 thousanths the case won't get a bulge.
Old October 15, 2005, 09:10 AM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I'll chime in on the side of trimming the brass. Once done, you won't need to worry about it again... Assuming standard pressures.

(Duplicate threads merged)