The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 14, 2011, 09:42 AM   #1
fsfty

AR15 Help Please...

My Colt HBAR A-2 recently started having an issue. After the last round is fired, the bolt stays open, however, when I place the gun in the rack, the bolt will close. It seems with a little "thump" on the butt stock, the bolt will close. A buddy at the range told me i had too much oil in the gun, and he's probably right. I was told to run the gun "wet" so i have been applying oil pretty liberally. Could too much oil cause this problem, or do i have another issue?
Old August 14, 2011, 11:08 AM   #2
rjrivero

If you store your AR without an empty magazine with the bolt open, you can expect the bolt to close if the buttstock is struck. It's a pretty normal situation.

There are a couple things you can check though, if it's really a big deal for you.
It could be the magazine spring. If it's not pushing up the bolt hold open all the way, it could easily close when the stock is bumped. It could also be a worn bolt hold open. Easy enough to replace.

Best of luck.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:22 PM   #3
fsfty

Thanks..actually, I was using a brand new magazine yesterday, so your explanation makes a great deal of sense. Also, I've been reading that this is a normal situation with no magazine in the gun. Thanks again.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Ridge_Runner_5

Sounds like the bolt catch wasn't fully engaged, so it was just hanging on. The bump from setting the gun in the rack was enough to dislodge the catch enough to release the bolt.

What ammo were you shooting?
Old August 14, 2011, 03:51 PM   #5
fsfty

I was shooting some steel cased ammo. I usually shoot PMC bronze, but I was given some steel cased, which i was just shooting out...
Old August 14, 2011, 03:58 PM   #6
fsfty

This only happens when there isn't a magazine in place. Otherwise, no matter how much force is applied to the buttstock, it remains open. Normal?
Old August 14, 2011, 03:58 PM   #7
I be he

I wouldent recommend steel cased ammo. Possible problemo
Old August 14, 2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Wyosmith

That's 100% normal for an AR.
You see, the bolt carrier is like a shaft hammer in its tube. It's going to have downward momentum if you bump the butt on the ground and so it comes to the rear just enough to release itself from the bolt catch.
ALL ARs will do that.
If you leave an empty mag in the gun, it won't happen because the follower is holding the bolt catch out. The bolt and carrier can go back a bit, but the bolt catch doesn't jump down out of the way if there is an empty mag in place.
Old August 14, 2011, 04:13 PM   #9
Father Time

Quote:
wouldent recommend steel cased ammo. Possible problemo
Nothing wrong with steel cased ammo. If won't damage your gun. And if your gun won't run it then there is a problem with the rifle not the ammo.

Would I reccomend it for self defence? No but for practice it should work fine.
Old August 14, 2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Mobuck

I wouldn't store the rifle with the bolt open anyway. That's simply asking for dust, bugs, whatever to settle in. Mine usually have a muzzle cap, mag, and dust cover closed. No bugs in my boomer.
Old August 14, 2011, 08:21 PM   #11
ghostman1960

Bugs?
Old August 15, 2011, 12:31 AM   #12
Ridge_Runner_5

If he put it in a rack bolt open just after shooting it, it is likely he was at the range.