The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Dusty Rivers

barrel mounted light for night varmints

I am having trouble with hogs. they are digging up everywhere. I need to mount a light on my Winchester Black Shadow 12 GA. The hogs only show up at night. Any experience with a light, switch, and mounting bracket would be appreciated. What kind of range can I expect to be able to shoot at with the light? If there are better aiming solutions what would they be?

Thanks.
Old October 8, 2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Death from Afar

Are you guys allowed to use spotlights to night shoot animals?
Old October 14, 2008, 09:34 PM   #3
rem870hunter

not sure about weapon mounted lights. a bright handheld that uses the cr123 batteries should work. can get a clamp and pressure switch mount for it. it'll clamp the the barrel or mag. ext. tube. dad has one mounted on a single shot 12 ga. can't remember the model though. works well. cheaperthandirt.com has a listing for some. i use a 6v handheld light or a dual cr123 battery light.. once in awhile i have a skunk or raccoon ,possum come nosing around my trash cans. so i have the option of picking at them with an air rifle or my .22. haven't yet, they seem to run away from my cats.

as far as spotlighting animals at night. here in NJ you can raccoon and possum hunt at night with hounds and a .22 rifle loaded with no more than 3
.22 short cartridges. using a handheld light.
Old October 15, 2008, 07:52 PM   #4
oneounceload

have you considered a night site on a rifle for hogs? Here in FL, I know several people who use just such a set-up
Old October 15, 2008, 08:15 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Where are you at Dusty? Any hog doggers near you? Finding someone like me will net better results most of the time than shooting or trappin'. And if you wish you can tag along and get to hunt an extreme method. If ya'll work it out as such you can build a pen and feed them up and slaughter them for the pork.
After 30-90 days of good care and feeding they butcher out as a regular farm pig.
Brent