The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2006, 09:12 PM   #1
gablues

Reloading Data...

I am very new to reloading, I mean new as still buying the stuff and waiting to load my first one, and have some questions about a wildcat cartridge. I have a friend I bought an Encore from in a Remington 280 Ackley Improved. It is an awesome little cartridge. But it got me thinking about my old 300 winchester magnum. And just what an Ackley Improved 300 Win Mag would be like and where would I find such loading data. Just wondered if any of you have any suggestions or have dabbled in a 300 win mag and tried the any improvements?
Old October 9, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2
castnblast

I have a 300 win mag and love it. Personally, I'd save the money and keep the Win mag. You can find several deviations of that caliber already, the WSM, and the Weatherby Mag. They all knock the crap out of you, so either way you put it, it will get you more kick . sorry for the smart comment. Seriously though, I don't think there is a lot of improvement needed to that caliber. All you will wind up doing is gaining a few hundred (at most) fps, create a bit more recoil, and drastically increasing your component (brass, die, etc.) cost. That's my .02 cents worth.
Old October 10, 2006, 05:52 PM   #3
gablues

Cool. I had just wondered about that option. I am very new to all this and didn't really know what to look into. It really is a great caliber all by itself. I love mine cause i do not like to track deer, and if I must track one, I want it to be easy to do. LOL.
Old October 14, 2006, 05:24 PM   #4
castnblast

One more thought, There must have been a reason for you looking at the AI. Are you looking for flatter trajectory, increase in foot pounds, or what. If you are looking for trajectory, try a light bullet...165 btsp or even a 150 btsp. Hornady makes those, as I'm sure others do as well. They are screaming out of the muzzle, and flat as a pancake. They are plenty big for large game, and seem to hold together well.
Old October 14, 2006, 07:03 PM   #5
VaFisher

I have a Encore in 300 win mag, it's likes the 4064 powder with 150 Hornady SST bullets. Also has a Limbsaver pad on it, must say I shoot 50 plus rounds when I make it to the range and with this set-up it does not kick like some of the factory rounds that are availble. I am very pleased with this round myself and have found it very freindly loading for.
Old October 14, 2006, 07:26 PM   #6
ZeroJunk

I would advise you to buy Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders Voulme 1 and 2.Great information and his opinions about cartridges.Approach his maximum loads VERY carefully.If he ever tried to improve a 300 Winchester it was after these books were printed.Not much to be gained.
Old October 14, 2006, 09:03 PM   #7
skeeter1

I haven't loaded any of those myself, but this page may be of help to you:

http://www.reloadammo.com/

Best of all, it's free.