The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1
MDS

Trimming .223 brass

I can't afford a 70.00 + case trimmer right now. Isn't there a way to put the Lee case trimmer in a drill or something like that? I have never loaded rifle ammo yet. I've searched but not found a lot.
Old April 2, 2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Yes, the Lee case holder will chuck in a variable speed drill. Lee also makes their inexpensive pull-string tool that works with it. For a bench type trimmer, I prefer the inherent coaxiality of the L.E. Wilson trimmer. The base unit is half the price you mentioned, plus $6.50 for the .223 case holder.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 2, 2009, 01:16 PM   #3
ForneyRider

I use the Lee stuff to trim. There is an adapter I put in the Ryobi 14v cordless drill. There is a ball handle to hold the case length gage/trimmer. Works pretty good.

Getting the chamfer tool ($2-3 for Lee, $16+ for RCBS, Redding, or Hart) and a flashole deburr tool(RCBS, Redding Hart for ~$19), you can clean up the brass while holding it in the drill.

Loosening and tightening the brass in the shellholder will wear you a bit. I had the Zip Trim with the 3 jaw collet. But it worked you a bit as well.

I found the trimmers at a lot of places, even the local component resources.
Old April 2, 2009, 01:19 PM   #4
MDS

Yeah the stores around here carry RCBS. I'll have to order off line.
Old April 2, 2009, 11:24 PM   #5
PCJim

Take a look at the Possum Hollow case trimmer & the power adapter. I use them on 223 & 243. They make quick easy work of trimming. Also check YouTube for video of them in action.
Old April 2, 2009, 11:43 PM   #6
jdscholer

I use the Lee trimmer a little backwards. I chuck the cutter/pilot in my 1/2" drill and spin it instead of the case. The case seems to stay locked in the shell holder better that way.

The Lee gives me more accurate and consistent length than my RCBS trimmer. Seems to give mobetta square of the case mouth also.--concentricity---perpendicularity--oh whatever. jd
Old April 2, 2009, 11:55 PM   #7
MDS

I think I'm going to get the Lee Ball handle cutter and case length gauge. I just hate paying 10.00 for shipping for something that cost 12.00$