The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 12, 2004, 03:59 PM   #1
Armando B

Cowboy Shooting Rifle...what do you prefer?

I think I'm outgrowing my Rossi Puma '92 (.357/.38) and I'm looking to buy a new rifle in the next couple of months.

What rifle do you shoot?
Why do you like it?
What does your rifle retail for?
Old September 13, 2004, 08:26 AM   #2
Quantrill

Armando,
I shoot a Winchester 1894 Trapper in .45 Colt. It took 2 times being sent back to the factory (neither of which did any good and in fact made it worse) and one time to the gunsmith (Winters in Berlin, NJ) before it would feed and eject properly. Also being a Trapper model, it only holds 8 (sometimes 9 if you seat the bullets nice and deep) rounds and most stages, where I shoot, are 10 rounds meaning I must load 2 more rounds on the clock. The bottom line is that I do NOT reccomend the Winchester, Looking around and talking to many cowboys (and girls), if I was to buy another rifle, it would be a Marlin. Quantrill
Old September 13, 2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Marlins are good and can be 'smithed better; but the slickest gun I have ever seen was a Uberti 1873 that had been set up as a Cowboy Race Gun by one of the top men in the field. Not cheap to buy or have fixed up that nice, though.
Old September 14, 2004, 04:22 PM   #4
motorep

Cowboy shooting- living in the Colorado Rockies, with teenage daughters and horses, I've had occasion to deal with this. I don't use a rifle- an 870 works better for me- usually one round of rubber buck in the butt keeps them away for a long time.
Old September 19, 2004, 08:40 PM   #5
Rickhead

Now THATS cowboy shooting!

I found a way to keep my daughter a virgin forever.

I'm not going to potty train her. Whenever a girl pooped in my car I took her STRAIGHT home!
Old October 20, 2004, 01:46 PM   #6
the duck of death

After reading all the problems folks have had with their rifles I've decided to keep my '94AE Win and not buy a toggle link rifle. I bought the '94 off a pard for $250 in like new condition. He shot it for 3 years without a malfunction and I shot it this year trouble free.

After working on it the lever throw is incredible light and it's very accurate. I removed the cross bolt safety and milled plugs for the holes. Took off the saddle ring and put a headless screw in the hole. Also put a rubber butt pad on. The trigger pull is ease to work on.

All in all it's a well made, easy to work on accurate rifle.
Old October 20, 2004, 02:18 PM   #7
legacy38

I'm not a CAS competitor, but I really likethe Marlin 1894. I want one to go along with my .357 S&Ws to use as protective gear.
Old October 20, 2004, 02:48 PM   #8
the duck of death

If you get a Marlin 94 you might want to do this. I have a 94 Marlin and got "
The Marlin Jam" at a CAS.

http://www.marauder13.homestead.com/...rlin94Fix.html
Old October 20, 2004, 06:03 PM   #9
LdyAtavist

I really like the '73 myself. It just feels better to me than the 92 or the 94, and so I do better with it.